Foods we once ate in sheffield

Could be, but there is some good crap around. Like gnawing on a sheeps head on my plate, loved it. Some people just don't know what they are missin'.

You can go into a *notty restarant & get spare ribs, :gag: now that is revoltin', don't know how people can sink to that leval. :confused: As a kid my ol' ma used to take us down to the fish market every saturday. She would get a bag of spare ribs for the dog, (& they were for the dog ) so to this day when i see spare ribs I see dog food, no matter how you tart it up. DOG FOOD !! :gag::confused:

Edited by grave lurker
spelling

Could be, but there is some good crap around. Like gnawing on a sheeps head on my plate, loved it. Some people just don't know what they are missin'.

You can go into a *notty restarant & get spare ribs, :gag: now that is revoltin', don't know how people can sink to that leval. :confused: As a kid my ol' ma used to take us down to the fish market every saturday. She would get a bag of spare ribs for the dog, (& they were for the dog ) so to this day when i see spare ribs I see dog food, no matter how you tart it up. DOG FOOD !! :gag::confused:

Will try sheeps head just to calm you down.Do try the better foods you my even ENJOY CHEERS

As a nipper my granny used to take me to the horse meat shop on Holme Lane Hillsborough,I remember an old girl saying to the butcher"Its for the dog you know!"[yere right!].One thing I remember was the bright yellow fat on it,beef has white fat,the Belgiums and French love the stuff to this day!:gag::roll::confused:

Had many a cheval burger with chips on my travels in France.:D

Had many a cheval burger with chips on my travels in France.:D

but of course only the ones who didn't race well went for meat:hihi::hihi:I talk well but I would have kept all my horses, they say never fall in love with a race horse, I loved most:love::love::love:

I have that much Donkey and fries that my local shop lets me have the fries free of charge.

Whenever I go in he sings that Dire Straits song:-

" Money for Muffin,

and yer chips for free".

I got so much entertainment from my previous post about phrases and expressions used in Sheffield, that I thought I'd try one in a similar vein about some of the foods I remember being fed on during my childhood & early teens(ie - all thru' the 1960's and well into the 70's). I think most of the foods I'm listing below will only be remembered by people over 50 (or maybe over 40 at a push, if they had old fashioned parents like we did). Most of this stuff now seems to be extinct, even in Sheffield itself. Outside of Sheff, I've never yet come anyone who's even heard of, let alone actually eaten, most of it and I was wondering if anyone out there remembers eating any of the following "delicious" delicacies?

Udder

Sparrib broth

Chaps

Hock

Beast Cheek

Crozzles

Fatcakes

'Taters & onions

Chittlins & bag

Tripe or cow-heel cut up into bits and served cold, drowned in salt, pepper and vinegarRoll

Boiled black pudding and boiled onions

Pigs' tail stew

I await your replies with bated breath!

I remember eating the ones I've highlighted and remember hearing about most of the others.

We used to have rabbit stew a lot as well and I used to be allowed to pick out the brains with a hair grip?...thought it was a real treat at the time :gag:

During the late sixties and early seventies, I often would buy a hock, made lovely gravy and was usually enough left for a sandwich after whatever I was doing with it. Quite cheap as well.

A funny story that we often recall is once when my friend fell on hard times she remembered how I'd always said what you could do with a pork hock...she went into a butchers shop and asked him, "Have you got a Pork Hock" He looked at her and said, "No love, should I have?" She was mortified. She really shouldn't have asked in a Sheffield accent.

we used to eat tongue. came in cans. don't know whether they still make it. also not sure what animal the tongue came from.

we used to eat tongue. came in cans. don't know whether they still make it. also not sure what animal the tongue came from.
Yep, they still sell it - see here for example, though it doesn't seem to be as popular as it once was. I do remember a TV advert for "Pastoral" lamb tongues, but that would be in the 1960s.

just finish making a huge jellied pork hock now all i have to do is let it set then a little vinegar and onion and yum yum thanks to my wife who leave's it all for me

I always buy a quarter of tongue each Wednesday, along with a half pound of Haslet.

Bull's Semen is more difficult to get though.

I remember, just after the war, we used to get tinned bacon I think from America, it was lovely.