Who used to listen to 'Night Owls' on Hallam FM

Marget from L***s?

I think it might have been yes!

God what drivel our minds keep hold of heh.

I remember a phone in show with a Nick Abbot. Might have been on Viking Radio tho..

I remember Roger Kirk doing it, but did Gerry Kersey do it at one time - I seem to remember listening to him late at night, but it could just have been one of his oldies shows

I remember James Watt before James H Reeve but I think that was when it was the Yorkshire Radio Network.

Didn't they split up and go back to local programming after the three radio stations re branded themselves, dropping the "Radio" prefix and going for the fab Smashie and Nicey "FM" instead?

Do you remember the older woman who used to ring in every night,giving Roger Kirk some grief.:hihi:

Margaret from Leeds.

The phone-ins started as way back as the late 80's i believe with a dj called James Watt, then came Roger Kirk with his "Night Owls",which included more and more as his show progressed, poems from the listener. On a Sunday evening Roger Phillips filled in for Kirk. In the mid 90's, James H Reeve took it on i think and then it was Scottie McClue. (could be the other way round, but Scottie did come back at one point.) Mark Meadowcroft also did a stint at it at some point, but didn't last for long.

James H Reeve was the best.

But probably a bit too intelligent for Hallam listeners.

I presume it got taken off due to low audience figures.

The presenter often used to say he was struggling because no-one was phoning in.

James H Reeve was BRILLIANT and sooooo funny! :hihi:

Dinky Doo its Scottie McClue :hihi:

I used to listen to it on my head phones as a kid :hihi:

I only ever listened to it once and Scotties theme of the evening was corporal punishment in schools. It didn't seem to matter if people agreed with him or not, he still found a way of disagreeing with them. Total wind up merchant.....hilarious :hihi:

I'm obviously not as old as you guys :hihi:

The late night Hallam FM show that i remember listening to is 'The Tom Binns Thing' which he did with Matt Jagger (Phoneboy). I loved those two! A lot of people didn't like Tom Binns and he did eventually get 'let go' by Hallam but i loved him!!

He was brilliant, I remember when they stapled a piece of paper to Phoneboy's head :hihi:

One of the best presenters on it was Nick Margerison, 'nick at night' show, sometimes very controversial that eventually led to his departure I believe but the show was brilliant, Hallam FM went down hill when Nick left and I stopped listening to it at night soon after.

Bobby brown pants !!!!

Scotty I'd like to take about joy riding.......door slams.......car wheels screech !

Bobby Brown Pants knocked over OAP's under the old town hall on skateboards into the water or so we were told

Edited by Eric_Collins

One of the best presenters on it was Nick Margerison, 'nick at night' show, sometimes very controversial that eventually led to his departure I believe but the show was brilliant, Hallam FM went down hill when Nick left and I stopped listening to it at night soon after.

Couldnt agree more. I used to stay awake listening to this every night. He discussed some interesting topics. The radio lacks something like this now