Springvale Road S10. Spring water sample needed!

Sometime early last year a 'spring' (according to Yorks Water) appeared in my garden.

It is putting out just over 2 litres of water per minute. The result is, the garden has become waterlogged and has sunk and slumped and is pushing over a retaining wall.

Yorks water did tests and say it is a natural spring and/or due to a rising water table? (Hmm..)

It is constant and does not vary with the season or rainfall.

I would like to have some tests done and I need some spring water samples from the area for comparison. Preferably a known natural spring or water source with variable flow.

Anyone know of any, in the area of Mona Road, Mona Ave, Melbourn Road, Townend Street, Leamington Street, Moor End Road, Hands Road, Springvale Road. Please let me know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It will be very difficult comparing like for like spring waters as there are so many variables (local geology / hydrogeology / hydrology / recharge).

Did YW provide you with the laboratory analytical certificates? What analysis did they schedule?

Why not just sample your spring water, send the samples to a laboratory (such as STL, ALcontrol, SAL etc) schedule for a suite of common pollutants (TRH, BTEX, SVOCs, VOCs, metals, a few inorganics, some cations and TDS) and screen the results against generic UK drinking water standards? Make sure the laboratory limit of reporting is < the respective DWS.

Analysis is not cheap though.

Blah blah blah science. If you want to know anymore just ask.

Wouldn't you just need to compare a sample of this "spring" water to a sample of your tap water to see what the water in your garden is?

The area does contain a fair number of natural springs although they rarely break the surface these days.

P.S. If you were thinking about harnessing it, you don't need an abstraction licence if your abstraction volume is <20m3 per day. Result!

It will be very difficult comparing like for like spring waters as there are so many variables (local geology / hydrogeology / hydrology / recharge).

Did YW provide you with the laboratory analytical certificates? What analysis did they schedule?

Why not just sample your spring water, send the samples to a laboratory (such as STL, ALcontrol, SAL etc) schedule for a suite of common pollutants (TRH, BTEX, SVOCs, VOCs, metals, a few inorganics, some cations and TDS) and screen the results against generic UK drinking water standards? Make sure the laboratory limit of reporting is < the respective DWS.

Analysis is not cheap though.

Blah blah blah science. If you want to know anymore just ask.

Would a fairly simple test for chlorine differentiate between untreated spring water and treated tap water?

Contact the council and ask them to verify what the water is they can test it and also put dye down the drains to make sure its not contaminated and to see where its coming from

Would a fairly simple test for chlorine differentiate between untreated spring water and treated tap water?

Chlorine and fluoride maybe. If the purpose of the exercise if to differentiate between tap and spring water or to identify a leak. Probably is a spring in that area though, very common in the coal measure like one of the poster above mentioned.

See if you can get the test results from YW. Should be pretty easy to tell if its natural from the coal measures due to high in dissolved iron and sulphate and high TDS. Test results for nitrate / nitrite and ammonia will tell you if its sewage related.

Some useful posts guys thanks a lot.

I'm not sure what to do next.

I have had a sample of the 'spring' water and a sample of my tap water analysed and they came out very similar.

I was thinking of getting a 'known' spring or water source in the area done, as a comparison.

Some useful posts guys thanks a lot.

I'm not sure what to do next.

I have had a sample of the 'spring' water and a sample of my tap water analysed and they came out very similar.

I was thinking of getting a 'known' spring or water source in the area done, as a comparison.

I'd think if your "spring" water contained chlorine then it is in fact tap water as it is used in water treatment and would not be present in spring water.

http://www.yorkshirewater.com/yourwater

Sometime early last year a 'spring' (according to Yorks Water) appeared in my garden.

It is putting out just over 2 litres of water per minute. The result is, the garden has become waterlogged and has sunk and slumped and is pushing over a retaining wall.

Yorks water did tests and say it is a natural spring and/or due to a rising water table? (Hmm..)

It is constant and does not vary with the season or rainfall.

I would like to have some tests done and I need some spring water samples from the area for comparison. Preferably a known natural spring or water source with variable flow.

Anyone know of any, in the area of Mona Road, Mona Ave, Melbourn Road, Townend Street, Leamington Street, Moor End Road, Hands Road, Springvale Road. Please let me know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a friend in Birkendale who bottles their water for sale in London-it is called Upperthorpe Springs.

I used to live in a house in Walkley that had a natural spring in the cellar. No use to you to know at all but I just thoght I'd share :hihi:

There is a very small spring on our allotment though and this seems to just flow at a steady rate regardless of rainfall/drought etc. I suppose it depends on the source?