Holme Lane, Hillsborough Bus/Tram Lane - 24hr restrictions - tickets!

Hi all, if you live in or travel through Hillsborough corner, then please be aware of the following. I wasn't and am not sure if it is widely known.

The bus/tram lane coming from Holme Lane (Towsure/Malin Bridge) turning right onto Langsett Road (towards Morrisons upper carpark) is a 24 restriction. You cannot drive through it at any time, unlike Langsett Road to Middlewood Road.

The Sheffield Council website that gives the information regarding the Hillsborough bus/tram gates states that they (I took it to be all of them) can be used, except for the times 7am-11am, 3pm-7pm on Mon to Sat. It does not specify, or name which ones on the entire page.

I recently received a ticket for contravening the Holme Lane one at 6.55am. It was explained to me that the Holme Lane one is 24hrs. I have told them about the web page, so they may look to change it.

If you have received a similar ticket, outside of the advertised hours, then you will have a good case against paying. When/if they change it, then it will be fairly clear and you will have no defence.

Hi all, if you live in or travel through Hillsborough corner, then please be aware of the following. I wasn't and am not sure if it is widely known.

The bus/tram lane coming from Holme Lane (Towsure/Malin Bridge) turning right onto Langsett Road (towards Morrisons upper carpark) is a 24 restriction. You cannot drive through it at any time, unlike Langsett Road to Middlewood Road.

The Sheffield Council website that gives the information regarding the Hillsborough bus/tram gates states that they (I took it to be all of them) can be used, except for the times 7am-11am, 3pm-7pm on Mon to Sat. It does not specify, or name which ones on the entire page.

I recently received a ticket for contravening the Holme Lane one at 6.55am. It was explained to me that the Holme Lane one is 24hrs. I have told them about the web page, so they may look to change it.

If you have received a similar ticket, outside of the advertised hours, then you will have a good case against paying. When/if they change it, then it will be fairly clear and you will have no defence.

Make sure you have a screen grab of the council page in case they change it and then try to continue to charge you!!

If the restriction there is 24hrs as you say then thats ridiculous, why on earth should it be 24 hours??

Im sorry people but unless the webpage has bene changed, you dont have a leg to stand on.

It clearly states:

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads/schemes/bus-lane-enforcement/hillsborough-camera-enforcement.html

General traffic must observe the signs displayed and not travel through the bus and tram gate between Monday to Saturday 7am-11am; 3pm-7pm. However Sundays are now free from restrictions.

It then provides the following PDF:

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/dms/scc/management/corporate-communications/documents/transport-and-infrastructure/commuting/Map---Travelling-to-Hillsborough-Oct09--pdf--182Kb-.pdf

...which clearly states the bus gate to be the road from Langsett Road to Middlewood Road (or vice versa).

At no point does it reference the right turn from Holme La to Langsett Rd as being a "bus and tram gate", It is a restricted manoeuvre and has been since the trams were put in as far as I am aware. The map says that turn is a "no right turn 24 hours".

Clear as mud for me.

I have to be honest, I thought the road signs there are pretty obvious. There are no signs stating when the bus gate is in operation and I'm pretty sure there is a sign that shows the bus/tram lane as 'At all times', I could be wrong but I'm sure I'm not.

Quick question - did you look at the webpage BEFORE or AFTER you drove through the area? If "after", seems like you are seeking an excuse for your actions.

I was almost right, it doesn't say 'at all times' but it's still very clear.

This sign

I was almost right, it doesn't say 'at all times' but it's still very clear.

This sign

Yep crystal clear..even easier to understand than the ones with times on...

There hasn't been a right turn from Holme Lane onto langsett road for cars for donkeys years. Before the tram it was a bus only lane to turn right there.

This was talked about on another thread recently and although I know the area the road signage there could be a lot clearer. My friend who doesn't like heavy traffic can get a little nervous and she didn't spot any signs so I had to direct her to go left and then loop around the park to be on the safe side. It's a confusing junction and could be improved.

There hasn't been a right turn from Holme Lane onto langsett road for cars for donkeys years. Before the tram it was a bus only lane to turn right there.

I thought that but wasn't sure if I was right.

LOL! road sign is pretty clear (which you should be aware of if driving with due care and attention), as is info on council website :hihi: