Sheffield church with lots of steps

I don't know who it is; only that one of the bridesmaids is my aunt.

I think I managed to post a link to two photos of the' Mystery Church'

http://s1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh630/mandyjf/[/url]

The old All Saints on Lyons Street/Sutherland Road had steps similar to that, but I don't remember any trees next to it. It was knocked down and replaced with St Peters. Can anyone else remember any trees? :confused:

in a picture of that age, chances are that she's actually related to the bride - unless you know otherwise

From what you say of the area she lived in this is probably wrong but, Cemetery Road Baptist Church used to have steps all the way from pavement level to doors. They went when the frontage was modernised in 1969/70.

From what you say of the area she lived in this is probably wrong but, Cemetery Road Baptist Church used to have steps all the way from pavement level to doors. They went when the frontage was modernised in 1969/70.

Just wanted to contradict my own reply! Have NOW looked at the photo and it is NOT Cemetery road baptist. Sorry.

Have you considered sending a copy to the Sheffield Star where they do a supplement produced in Saturday's edition? I'm sure that someone would recognise the church or even the bridal party, you'd reach a wider range of people, just a thought.

Is that cladding on the wall to the right of the steps on the group photo?

I thought the wall looked like sand stone, being pale and irregular. It's a shame this shot is slightly blurred.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I will look into the Star suggestion, but as I don't take the Star I'll have to buy Saturday's copy to find out what to do etc. and take it from there.

Having seen your wedding photo I am convinced I have the answer.

It was taken at St. Cuthberts FirVale. The steps are to the left of the entrance to the church and used to lead up to the church hall. The steps are still there I believe but the church hall has gone. The current church tower was not built at the time of your photo. It must have been common practice to use these steps because I have a photo with my sister has a bridesmaid taken in an identical fashion.

Hope this helps

Alan

Thanks Alan! This is where we suspected it had been taken but couldn't quite place it. I'm going down there this weekend when I can persuade someone to come with me!!!

Having seen your wedding photo I am convinced I have the answer.

It was taken at St. Cuthberts FirVale. The steps are to the left of the entrance to the church and used to lead up to the church hall. The steps are still there I believe but the church hall has gone. The current church tower was not built at the time of your photo. It must have been common practice to use these steps because I have a photo with my sister has a bridesmaid taken in an identical fashion.

Hope this helps

Alan

:clap: :clap:

for the benefit of anybody else following this thread, they're in this photo, just to the left of the church itself :thumbsup:

... and a picture of the hall

Edited by Strix

Can't think of any other church that had steeper steps than the one top of South Road . I don't mean St Marys on South Rd, it's the one further up on the hill, don't know the name

That was St Joseph's church, convent and nursing home.