Bus lane cameras

They need to get rid of all the tram gates, remove the needless restrictions on left and right turns, and let us have freedom to drive around the roads we all pay for!!!!

(Rant over)

Why not do away with all signs and road markings and have a free for all?

Got £30 fine Bolsover Rd onto Brookhill/University Roundabout bus lane

I was getting into left hand lane before roundabout

......................... one would hope these things have the time printed on it and also that the time is checked for accuracy.

The vast majority of equipment these days , especially enforcement equipment are fitted with clocks that get the time from the Atomic Clock at rugby.

The vast majority of equipment these days , especially enforcement equipment are fitted with clocks that get the time from the Atomic Clock at rugby.

Well I didn't get a ticket so either they'd stopped filming at that point or their clock is correct.

It really is very difficult if you want to park in this bus lane - get there one minute early and you stand the chance of getting a fine and get there five minutes late some days and it's full up. You have to time your run to the second.

Well, the camera is set back around 25m from the end of the bus lane lane its detection zone will be a bit further out, so you were "getting in lane" a bit too early.

Don't you mean: I was pushing past queuing traffic by getting into left hand lane before the bus lane ends, making it difficult for other drivers not abusing the bus lane to move into their lane but screw them, I'm more important.

Well, the camera is set back around 25m from the end of the bus lane lane its detection zone will be a bit further out, so you were "getting in lane" a bit too early.

Seems a silly position for the camera. Why not put it closer to the end of the bus lane? Would be more of a deterrent, loads of people just pull in to the bus lane just after the camera instead.

I have noticed a lot of these going up the last few weeks, there is going to be a camera on the bus lane that leads down from Hyde Park flats to the Park Sq roundabout for example.

Question is - who is monitoring all these? The CCTV room at the Town Hall?

I have been in that room and it isnt big. Surely its impossible for 1/2 people to monitor them all at once? And I cant see one person = one lane so what is the plan here?

I would guess some people may get lucky and get away with it? Or can they record 730-930 activity and get someone to watch it in the afternoon on tape? Or does the act have to be watched "live"?

Why not do away with all signs and road markings and have a free for all?

What like Hallowmoor Road with no 'Give Way' signs from the side roads?

Thankfully drivers use their intelligence.

Seems a silly position for the camera. Why not put it closer to the end of the bus lane? Would be more of a deterrent, loads of people just pull in to the bus lane just after the camera instead.

Wherever you put it, people will pull across just after. It's a demountable camera, so you need something like an existing lighting column to fix it to. There isn't anything suitabel closer to the end of the lane.

The Council like to be sen to be fair to motorists and show they are not out to catch them out if they stray into the last few metres of the bus lane. Adjudicators tend not to uphold any that appeal when they have "strayed" int the last few metres of the lane, so putting the camera at the end of the lane is not viable for enforcement.

Actually planner1 there are 2 cameras along that stretch of bus lane, one 25m from the end as you say and 1 just at the end of the lane near the bus stop to catch those that nip across a few metres early.

I have noticed a lot of these going up the last few weeks, there is going to be a camera on the bus lane that leads down from Hyde Park flats to the Park Sq roundabout for example.

Question is - who is monitoring all these? The CCTV room at the Town Hall?

I have been in that room and it isnt big. Surely its impossible for 1/2 people to monitor them all at once? And I cant see one person = one lane so what is the plan here?

I would guess some people may get lucky and get away with it? Or can they record 730-930 activity and get someone to watch it in the afternoon on tape? Or does the act have to be watched "live"?

There are two different camera systems in use, operated and automatic.

The older sites like Hillsborough and Wicker are operated from the CCTV room at the Town Hall. On those, a operator has to see and record the contravention.

The newer ones, like the one on Bolsover Street are automatic. They record and transmit the details of the contravention automatically and they are reviewed later.

---------- Post added 20-08-2013 at 13:39 ----------

Actually planner1 there are 2 cameras along that stretch of bus lane, one 25m from the end as you say and 1 just at the end of the lane near the bus stop to catch those that nip across a few metres early.

The first one is the enforcement camera, the second one, closest to the end of the lane is an ANPR camera which is nothing to do with enforcement.

Edited by Planner1