This is the First Point access desk that deal with enquiries and queries regarding all aspects of Sheffield Council. I have to say I think they do a very good job. Many times I have contacted them asking about various information and they have always responded and given me exact contact details of whom I need to speak to or in some cases past the information onto the correct person. I am impressed. What does everyone else think?

Got to agree with you there. I have been to First Point in Howden House. They have been very efficient on each visit. The floor walkers at the entrance direct you to exactly where you need to be and the ticket system is excellent. A vast improvement on the old way of doing things.A big thumbs up to Sheffield City Council on that one. (Makes a change).

Is the reception in the Town Hall part of the First Point thing? I should know really, I've been there a couple of times recently but the lady at the desk seemed to be a woman of few words, and wasn't exactly quick to notice that I was stood there. Maybe she was having an off day. Good to hear some happy comments about a council scheme though.

I think the idea of having a single access point like that is good for people unfamiliar with the Council's premises, but it's a pain if you are familiar with the place and want to speak to someone you know who is buried inside the building somewhere. From my experience of them dealing with requests I've made they've been helpful, but both architects practices in Sheffield I've worked for have complained that the planners have a habit of 'hiding behind' the people at First Point.