Any one remember -Jive Turkey -

i noticed that theviker was asking about someone called Desi,

he's one off the dj's at a nigh called scuba.

was he around at the time of jive turkey?:help:

brilliant to be reminded of jive turkey - a whole posse of us used to go down from pitsmoor - all aged 16 or thereabouts. it was our introduction to clubbing and what an introduction...

most of us had been in the breakdancing scene that wound up a couple of years before, and a lot of the people in that scene had moved on to the jazz / house dance thing in the early 80s. Anyone remember the Limit on a Saturday afternoon in the early 80s? I did a lot off "breaking" down there and as far as I know it was where Winston started DJing. Great times.

Yes, I remember The Limit on saturdays, Winston was dj'ing

before that though i think.

I remember going in to town as a 14 year old and seeing what looked like 300 people all breakin' outside The Roxy, where Odeon is now. Winston was the one who had the tunes on his "blaster". I'm not sure if this all happened before the limit started. It feels as far back as '83-'84.....not sure though..

you've got to get a copy of the look north report transferrd into real player or quicktime....pure gold

I have the "Yorkshire TV, Calendar" program on the "breakin challenge" that happened at the Mandela building, sunday night years ago ('85 ish) on video at Mums, must find it.....

I've sent you a private message "theviker"

Originally posted by whothis

Yes, I remember The Limit on saturdays, Winston was dj'ing

before that though i think.

I remember going in to town as a 14 year old and seeing what looked like 300 people all breakin' outside The Roxy, where Odeon is now. Winston was the one who had the tunes on his "blaster". I'm not sure if this all happened before the limit started. It feels as far back as '83-'84.....not sure though..

Memories!

Saturday afternoon's at The Limit was ace, loads of breakin crews 'challenging', 'uprockin', 'poppin n breakin'....

I remember the Soulhead's doing routines on the stage too.

And, yeah, breakin' outside the Roxy....

God, I miss those days!:sad:

Yeah man, Smak 19, Street Crew, ScratchMix, Positive Force....wow, going back now Booch...

I guess Jive Turkey was a continuation of that scene, some of us are still going out and looking for it, guys like Winston and Desi are still playing music in their sets today from that time....in fact, if you hear people like these guys play today, and you are familiar with the music from back in the '80's, you will hear their influences from that era, it is more or less the same scene, only without any "breakers".......:D

Without giving too much of myself away, my brother and I are very good friends with Winnie and Parrot.

I know Desi too - from when my bro, my mate and I, did our shows on pirate radio.

We DJ'd with them on many occasions (Occasions - d'ya remember those days too?):thumbsup:, at loads of different parties in and around Sheffield!

The Jive Turkey night's were seminal.

No club nights (apart from The Steamer @ Leadmill, The (old) Limit on West St, Funk/Soul/Disco all-nighters @ Locarno's, and the sporadic one-off's that appeared outta nowhere, ie: The Garage/Kool Kat in Nottingham have come close!

Oh, and the Hacienda too.

Spikey - I was inbetween jobs when I started going to the Steamer:cool:

Do I know you?

:suspect::)

Originally posted by whothis

83/84 sounds about right - i was about 12 when that was going on - unfortunately, the scene started to fall apart as I got good a couple of years later!

I don't live in sheffield , but call me crazy....

why dont you guys that used to so the DJ ing at Jive turkey, try and get one togethe agin , of cource it would have to be at the city hall

A kind of one off, revival, same music, same Djs, even dress code

If marketed and publiced well enough. You could have a winner, i know myself and many other people who no longer live in sheffield would come back.

I work as a director for the BBC and channel 4, i'm sure i could get a crew together to film the event, and make something around it. Before you get excited, i know that they would not sponcer it in any way though.

Contact me if anyone has any thoughts.