Does anyone remember Meadowhead shops in the 60s?

Mr. Sparks’ Launderette, Mitchell’s butchers who sold booze under the counter but now the best off licence in the area.

only just seen this, but if anyone's interested. I lived on Hunstone Ave from  about 1946 to 1972. The  Cranns were the parents of the Pass's who were running it then , I was a pal of their son Vaughan, and daughters Josephine and Maxine.

The 2 Hunt sisters ran a small grocery shop, where it took ages to get served when there were about 12 people in waiting

the shoeshop [Hills] with a repair shop also at Greenhill. Their son David followed the family business before developing a successful  stonemasonary business, and was STILL working at it a few years ago. [in Barlow]

The Pembertons ran the newsagent on the right end of the block.

There was a brilliant toy and cycle shop where I spent many minutes ogling the contents in the window. I remembered the name for decades, but have lost it now, other than that the owner's christian name was Percy!

Mr Mitchell, the butcher cum purveyor of booze was a very loyal customer of the bar at the Norton Hotel! Where you could get served by waiters in those days

Mrs Cragg ran the hardware shop at the opposite end of the terrace to Cranns. She had no hesitation in breaking open a packet of batteries if you only wanted one.

The sweet shop had the name Harrops in the floor covering. The launderette and hairdressers upstairs was owned by Mr & Mrs Sparkes and as another post mentioned they had a gaggle of chihuahuas, 1 dog and 5 bitches, nice work if you can get it!

Cranns had the green grocery with cafe above and chippy next door. Remember the chicken rotisserie? Irene (I think) baked the best tasting scones ever. And the time they fitted a drinks vending machine facing outwards onto the street corner. 
PS. It was Mr & Mrs Charles that had the sweet shop.

Edited by YorkieontheTyne
Post script

1 hour ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

Mrs Cragg ran the hardware shop at the opposite end of the terrace to Cranns. She had no hesitation in breaking open a packet of batteries if you only wanted one.

The sweet shop had the name Harrops in the floor covering. The launderette and hairdressers upstairs was owned by Mr & Mrs Sparkes and as another post mentioned they had a gaggle of chihuahuas, 1 dog and 5 bitches, nice work if you can get it!

Cranns had the green grocery with cafe above and chippy next door. Remember the chicken rotisserie? Irene (I think) baked the best tasting scones ever. And the time they fitted a drinks vending machine facing outwards onto the street corner. 

I remember being stood outside the Launderette watching all those Chihuahuas when I was a youngster, It  probably triggered something in me because I ended up with three of them myself.

Also upstairs in Cran's Cafe before school and ending up at Millhouses Lido instead.

Edited by Alextopman

Funny how things come back after a while, l also remembered Mrs Cragg and the shop always smelled of paraffin , and the nice Mrs Harrop, especially the day sweets came off ration. Bedlam.

Also the name of the bicycle/toy shop owner, Percy CHAPMAN.

There was also another bank nearer to Brocklehursts, could it have been Midland or even Martin's.