Does anyone remember Meadowhead shops in the 60s?

Anybody remember the shops at meadowhead in the 60s also the Norton hotel. I recall Clements grocers, Taggs butchers, Crans fish & chip shop, any more ? such a long time since I was at meadowhead sheffield. I would appreciate any memories from that time.

Hi Harry,

I don't remember the shops in the 60s, but I've moved your thread to our 'History and Expats' section because I think someone in here will!

not a shop but there was brockilhurst garage where the petrol station is now

Here's a scan from the 1968 Kelly's Directory. By this time Taggs butchers at No 304 had become Walkers. Next door was Marshalls sweet shop and then Ashe & Nephew, off-licence..:)

not a shop but there was brockilhurst garage where the petrol station is now

i worked there in the sixties, at the time we were rootes dealers selling new and seconhand cars Hillman Singer etc.

There was a newsagents there also but I don't remember the name. C&C

From when I was at Jordanthorpe School I remember Cranns chip shop, Davy's, the sweet shop etc. Brocklehursts had a cafe in their service department which us school kids used to go into. In the evenings we used to go down to the 765 cafe at Woodseats

From when I was at Jordanthorpe School I remember Cranns chip shop, Davy's, the sweet shop etc. Brocklehursts had a cafe in their service department which us school kids used to go into. In the evenings we used to go down to the 765 cafe at Woodseats

I remember Cranns having a Cafe upstairs and I think it was a launderette next door, it had a flat above and loads of Chiauhua's barking at the glass door at the bottom of the stairs,

Mary behind the bar at the Berni and an old bloke sat there every day, I can't remember his name.

The newsagent and post office was John Thompson in the 70's. I did a Sunday morning paper round there, 90p for 2 big bags full.

There was also a travel agents next door to Davys and Mitchells.

The card shop on the other side of the road (next to Cranns fruit and veg and the Laundrette) was called Jackanory.

Hi

I remember the newsagents attached to the post-office as being Pembertons - I had a paper round ,from there, in the late 60s, It started at the Berni Inn and went up Norton Lane as far as the church.

More memories of the barbers at the top of the stairs, leading from the archway, not a lot of room in there but he did a mean D.A :hihi:

Buying an uncut small loaf from the bakers, getting them to cut it in half so you could share it with your mate, eating the middle from the half- loaf as you walked across the road to Cranns then passing it over the counter for them to fill with chips (2 Penn'orth) Not forgetting the Sally Lunn you bought for afters.

Thanks to choogling I do remember Brocklehurst motors in the 1960s. I wonder if you recall any of the staff who worked there at that time.

Bill on the pumps, a salesman called Wattinson, also I recall an office girl called Valerie Johnson. I used to get a Hillman minx serviced there. Thanks to all the others who took the trouble to post a reply. They all brought back happy memories of youth.