Car Boot Megathread - 2012 - Please see first post

I think the one at the arena moved to the dog track

Is it true that the car boot sale at the motorpoint arena is starting again this weekend?

The car boot sale at the arena is definately not taking place. The organisers threw in the towel last year and cancelled the last few dates. It was a shame because this is a very good venue for car boot sales.

With all the empty fields and land in sheffield you would think there would be at least ONE regular car-boot sale. I heared somewhere that sheffield council will only allow 4 car boots per year due to an old market law or something !?

Thats a bit ridiculous! Yes, I really wish there was a good regular one in Sheffield. I think it would really work.

Yes, Bianco, it was quite good, anyone know why they stopped it?

With all the empty fields and land in sheffield you would think there would be at least ONE regular car-boot sale. I heared somewhere that sheffield council will only allow 4 car boots per year due to an old market law or something !?

You heard wrong! You can have up to 14 events in Sheffield, after that you need planning permission. And you do have to have a licence to run these events. But you are correct, there are quite a few sites that would be good for car boot sales, but a lot of hard work and finances are required to carry this out. Sheffield does need a regular car boot sale. The ones that are held at the moment are only charitiable ones, therefore they only hold them at certain times of the year.

I did hear that the car boot sale at the Arena stopped due to financial difficulties. So its not all plain sailing.

Thanks for the info Bianco.

I understand it's not all plain sailing but...

What get's me is that there are umpteen car-boot sales in and around Chesterfield and also in other towns and cities !

What's the difference with sheffield?.

Unless Sheffield council are charging vastly more than other towns for a licence/planning i can't see what the problem is.

I used to enjoy going to old cotes but its too far away and last time i went it was'nt a nice experience !

I'm hillsborough side so i think the nearest one to me now is the one near jordanthorpe on the roundabout opposite the beefeater pub.... but you never know if or when it's on !

After that it's Marsh lane, there all a good half hour away at least !

If you live at Hillsborough side of town, do you know that the car boot sales in Hillsborough Arena are taking place later in the year. I know these are charitable events so are not held every week, but at least its something. Don't know why Sheffield is different - I know you have to pay for a licence to hold a car boot sale, but would imagine the same goes for Chesterfield and other cities. Lets hope someone can fill the gap.

Thanks Bianco. Yes i have been to the one at Hillsborough arena and the one at Tesco on infermary road but they were'nt very good, pretty dismal infact and more like a 3rd world bazzar, i hardly heard a word of english and the pushing/shoving/grabbing really

put me off.

I think i'll stick to Marsh lane. Anyone have an idea when it starts up again?

Thanks Bianco. Yes i have been to the one at Hillsborough arena and the one at Tesco on infermary road but they were'nt very good, pretty dismal infact and more like a 3rd world bazzar, i hardly heard a word of english and the pushing/shoving/grabbing really

put me off.

I think i'll stick to Marsh lane. Anyone have an idea when it starts up again?

To be fair, that happens at most car boot sales. My partner and I have stood Marsh Lane a couple of times and as soon as we pulled up in the car, before we could open the boot, loads of Asians were calling out to us, asking if we had any mobile phones for sale!! It would seem that's the way of the world now.

Just been past Bowshaw, there's a big sign up saying it starts back up on Sunday 8th April:)

Hi all

Does anyone know roughly when Marsh Lane starts