The Pension Book Cometh

Well there I was, part and parcel of the magnificent swinging 60's, only to wake up and find that my greatest days are now confined to history. My beloved Mini would be 46 years old, if it still exists, half of the Beatles are no longer with us, however thank god that Mick Jagger looks much the same as he did then.

I wonder what current teenagers/early twenties would think about life without mobile phones, calculators, colour TV, computers, central heating, double glazing and bathrooms for all with showers and everlasting hot water, I reckon that we were smelly buggers in those days.

There were more job vacancies than there were people to fill them, come to think of it, I don't think that I ever met an adult who was out of work. Tramps or Gentlemen Of The Road, as we knew them, were the only ones without housing. Drugs were around, but I never bumped into anyone either using or selling them. There was violence around, blokes generally settled their differences with their fists, however I can recall the odd chair being used.

So all in all I wouldn't swap the youngsters of today for my magical years, I consider myself to have been very fortunate. :D

Totally agree with you, I am always saying I wouldn,t swap back to being 18/20 years of age in the current climate. Lots of job choices then,no trouble getting a mortgage,best time of our lives in the 60s.

You're right there - nothing can ever compare with being a teenager in the sixties. When I was 13 or 14 we had the Mods, The Who, Move etc and then when I was 16 came flower power Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Scott McKenzie - what a time to be a teenager, the youngsters today will never be able to experience such happy times. Their idea of fun is kicking S*** out of each other, demanding respect without earning it and oh, yes they know their rights

All true.... and me little A35 van with flower transfers and "San Francisco or bust" in the back window.... I must have looked a right plank.

We were children of the 60's, whatever has happened to us in the interim years, nothing changes that fact. I can't speak for any of you guys, but compared to these days, I was living the dream, irrespective of my current or eventual age, I cannot ever really grow old, if any of you don't understand that, you must have missed the 60's.

When I was 23 I was a barman in Beer. I remember watching England win the World Cup in a club in nearby Seaton. Physically, I look rather different today compared to then but mentally I think and feel just as I did then. There's no going back but they are great times to look back on.

To say we didn't have all this modern stuff , I can never remember being bored at all, I wouldn't think of it as being bored, if you had nothing to do you just stood with your back to the fire and waited until you had something to do, besdies getting the back of your legs all red too :hihi: and every one shouting gerra way from fire.

And wern,t we smart .The lads in hand made suits with hand stitched collars.

And then the lasses how can I forget the lasses in their brilliant two piece costumes or summer frocks with wide belts, proper legs in proper stockings clicking about in their stilleto shoes giving us lads a coy smile as they passed us on the Monkey Rack .

And wern,t we smart .The lads in hand made suits with hand stitched collars.

And then the lasses how can I forget the lasses in their brilliant two piece costumes or summer frocks with wide belts, proper legs in proper stockings clicking about in their stilleto shoes giving us lads a coy smile as they passed us on the Monkey Rack .

My best mate was very vain in respect of his need for glasses. I ended up with some real dolls, whilst he contented himself with the 'homely type', we're still best mates by the way. :hihi:

To say we didn't have all this modern stuff , I can never remember being bored at all, I wouldn't think of it as being bored, if you had nothing to do you just stood with your back to the fire and waited until you had something to do, besdies getting the back of your legs all red too :hihi: and every one shouting gerra way from fire.

Used to call them corned beef legs, when the women stood in front of the fire.

Well there I was, part and parcel of the magnificent swinging 60's, only to wake up and find that my greatest days are now confined to history. My beloved Mini would be 46 years old, if it still exists, half of the Beatles are no longer with us, however thank god that Mick Jagger looks much the same as he did then.

I wonder what current teenagers/early twenties would think about life without mobile phones, calculators, colour TV, computers, central heating, double glazing and bathrooms for all with showers and everlasting hot water, I reckon that we were smelly buggers in those days.

There were more job vacancies than there were people to fill them, come to think of it, I don't think that I ever met an adult who was out of work. Tramps or Gentlemen Of The Road, as we knew them, were the only ones without housing. Drugs were around, but I never bumped into anyone either using or selling them. There was violence around, blokes generally settled their differences with their fists, however I can recall the odd chair being used.

So all in all I wouldn't swap the youngsters of today for my magical years, I consider myself to have been very fortunate. :D

We are always told we look at the past through rose coloured glasses, but we should consider is there any of our current gadgets/equipment that would have made our life in the 1960's better. I wish we had mobile phones in 1962 then I would not have missed my dad's funeral.

We are always told we look at the past through rose coloured glasses, but we should consider is there any of our current gadgets/equipment that would have made our life in the 1960's better. I wish we had mobile phones in 1962 then I would not have missed my dad's funeral.

A very good point, I wouldn't attempt to patronise you, but I hazard a guess that your dad wouldn't have caught a mobile phone, had it been thrown at him.