Martial arts - 5 to 8 year old - club suggestions

I have a 5 year old and a 7 year old, I want to get them started on Martial Arts.

I have strongly held personal opinions [1] on what kind of club/style is suitable as such, I'm looking for a club that is Judo or Aikido or a similar style which will focus on skill and fun not competition and aggression.

Preferably not an independent, but a club that is associated with a national or international organisation.

I've found a couple that look good, but, they seem to run at 6pm on weekdays or even 4pm. Which means I'll not be able to take them, and I wanted to be able to take them and not ask my wife to do it, as the martial arts is 'my thing'.

So, any suggestions

[1] - Trained judo from age 7, jujitsu from 14 and bujinkan taijustu for a while as an adult.

Hi,

You may want to try Capoeira. It`s not competitive, it`s not aggressive and it`s fun!! you can even train with your children!

We have a class on Sunday at Sport Hallam (SHU Collegiate Campus) from 14.00 to 16.00 where few children will join in starting from this week.

We have also a Wednesday class at 18.00 at THE HUBS, SHU UNION and other two classes in Garden Street on Tuesday and Friday from 19.00 to 20.00.

Have a look at the website http://www.capoeirasheffield.com.

Classes are open to everybody and and there are no membership fees!

Contact me if you want more details!

Gabry

capoeira is great, we did a class in Spain a few year back...

My jitsu club runs a session on Mondays at Hillsborough Arena at 6.15pm specifically so that young children can make it, otherwise it would be past their bedtimes when we finish!

Our other session on Wednesdays is at Hillsborough Leisure Centre and starts at 7.45pm, finishing at 9.45pm. Juniors can finish at 9.15pm, but that is still late for most families.

Good luck with your search - I have seen first hand how rewarding it is for children to learn martial arts, and sometimes the parents get stuck in too!

My jitsu club runs a session on Mondays at Hillsborough Arena at 6.15pm specifically so that young children can make it, otherwise it would be past their bedtimes when we finish!

Any further details on your club? Url?

This is exactly the kind of club I am trying to avoid, based on the web site I'm afraid.

The "turn offs" for me are a 1st dan instructor and no affiliation, how is the instructor progressing? How do people progress beyond 1st kyu when the club is run by a 1st dan? Bujinkan Ninjutsu is listed, does this imply that the instructor is a Bujinkan qualified 5th dan or above? In which case, why are other schools being taught when the Bujinkan is a pretty all encompassing school? (it includes sword, staff and knife work as well as many other historic Japanese weapons, some specific to ninjitsu and unarmed styles)

editedpost

Edited by Wroughton
To edit

SHEFFIELD TAEKWONDO ACADEMY (STANNINGTON COMMUNITY CENTER)

WTF OLYMPIC STYLE TAEKWONDO & MEMBER OF THE BTCB

3rd dan INSTRUCTOR IS FULLY QUAILFIED & CRB CHECKED

FRIDAY (BEGINNERS CLASS SUITABLE FOR ALL AGES) 5PM - 6 -30PM

FRIDAY (FIGHT CLASS SUITABLE FOR ADVANCED FIGHTERS COVERING ALL ASPECTS OF SPORT TAEKWONDO INCLUDING ELECTRONIC BODY PROCTOCTOR (EBP) TACTICS & TECHNIQUES) 6 -30pm - 8 - pm

SATURDAY 10 -AM-12 -PM COVERING ALL ASPECTS OF SPORT TAEKWONDO INCLUDING ELECTRONIC BODY PROCTOCTOR (EBP) TACTICS & TECHNIQUES.

This is exactly the kind of club I am trying to avoid, based on the web site I'm afraid.

The "turn offs" for me are a 1st dan instructor and no affiliation, how is the instructor progressing? How do people progress beyond 1st kyu when the club is run by a 1st dan? Bujinkan Ninjutsu is listed, does this imply that the instructor is a Bujinkan qualified 5th dan or above? In which case, why are other schools being taught when the Bujinkan is a pretty all encompassing school? (it includes sword, staff and knife work as well as many other historic Japanese weapons, some specific to ninjitsu and unarmed styles)

Cant see what the problem is with a 1st Dan instructor?

and as for the weapons well at 5 and 7 it would be a long time before they got to train with them (I'd of thought)

and if martial arts is your thing why dont you try teaching them yourself??

WTF Taekwondo is suitable for all ages, depending what it is you require there is a suitable sylabus available through Sheffields largest group.

Hillsborough Leisure Centre, Monday, 7-30 till 9-00

Hillsborough Leisure Centre, Saturday, 1-oo till 2-30

EIS Attercliffe, Saturday, 11-00 till 12-30

EIS Attercliffe, Wednesday, 7-00 till 8-30

CDYST Crospool, Friday, 7-00 till 8-30

Verdon Street Recreation Centre, Tuesday, 6-30 till 8-00

Verdon Street Recreation Centre, Friday, 6-00 till 7-30

Master Andy Hill 6th Dan