Are the police THAT bad

Originally posted by johnphillips

South Yorkshire Police force must rank as one of the worst in yhe uk.

my car was badley damaged whilst parked outside my flat.eg

wing door etc.it was hit by a taxi the driver drove off i reported it to the police.and guess what they said i had to go down to local police station to report it when i did the civilian behind the counter gave me a producer.when i refused to produce docs guess what 2 coppers outside knocking on my door.cant be botherd to come out to damage which cost over £1000 to repair but soon came out 3 weeks later.for my failure to produce.

i think they have double standards.wouldnt help any of them

Standard procedure whichever force is involved....all parities involved in a road traffic collision must be able to produce the relevant documents. Failure to produce documents when requested is an offence (you will be given 7 days to produce) for which you may be reported on summons. This does not mean that enquiries regarding the driver of the other vehicle will not be made, it just means all offences will be dealt with. Why would you not produce if you were insured etc anyway?

My Car was parked up for the night.yes i was insured it was a brand new car.

the first point is this why do the police use civilians to issue producers.

secondly the so and so who hit my car drove off there were a few witness's who saw it but the police wouldnt even come out to the incident.

i did show my insurance when i went to report the incident

but i did not take my driving license with me because i did not need it as the car was parked up for the night and i was in bed at the time of the incident.the civilian who gave me the ticket did not even want the name of the people who saw what happened and this included the passengers who were in the black cab when he damaged my car.i pay my taxes has do we all do but when the police take no action against people who do wrong i do not support this police force at all i have lost all confidence in them.this must be the new force policy not to attend incidents like this.i did consult a local solicitor regarding this issue about failing to produce my license and his reply was let them get on with court action against you and we will laugh them out of court.

ha ha ha,

bloody pigs(joke!!!)

I used to hate the police and was in trouble off an on,

but i dont hate em now.

I was allways getting stopped when i was young,

Maybe I looked dodgy or something ,they never needed a reason to stop us.

But we would be in a lot of trouble without them

There's a lot of people who aint got nothing and would gladly have away with anything you got if they could, but so what.

I just think they have a lot to deal with and its getting more dangerous by each day, rather them than me.

good luck to em, as long as its not me their after.

Some police are complete t*ats but most officers are allright if you are allright with them.

Its allright to slag the police off (thats your right to), but if we didnt have the police we'd all be carrying weapons like the wild west or something.

True there were all of the offenders I listed in the 'good old days'. But the police dealt with them in an expeditious manner. The Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 brought more accountability to the police (and rightly so) and with that the paperwork increased. The Human Rights Act increased this. The National Crime Recording System (Labour Govt. implementation)is bringing the service to its knees (ask any front line officer what its about, I haven't the time).

Lack of funding and an organisation that had to take front line officers away to administer the service meant less officers out there 'on the beat' or detecting crime and reassuring the public. Thus a rise in crime and a lack of confidence. To combat this, more civilians are employed in the rear echelons without the required officers to combat the problems on the front line reintroduced. Hence successive govts. promising their electorate more police. What do they do? Employ PCSO's. A cheaper, powerless yet visible 'solution'.

As for the person who reported the RTC, your vehicle was on a road therefore you are dutybound to have it insured, hence the producer. You are right about the licence element.

Your report will be passed to a a very busy officer who in time will look at it, provided the witnesses are willing to give evidence or they have a registration of the offending vehicle. You need to push this.

Delta - spot on again, but don't forget that the amalgamation of forces will make the Police far more effective at dealing with crime and terrorism, and give the govt another opportunity to make claims about what they've done for the Police service, and the country.

I'm sure that I've heard it all before though....

cant be bothered to read ALL of the threads but got the general idea. I have to say that the Police, like may other jobs governed by politics (teachers etc) find a lot of their time is taken up with paperwork and having to justify why, when & how they speak to everyone they approach. I for one would not set off for a 12 hr shift not knowing whether that may turn into 14, 15 or 16 hrs. I wouldnt work in dangerous circumstances, work with the threat of violence everyday or any other of the bad working conditions they find themselves in- and before any of you accuse me of being a police lover, im not. I lived with one (idiot) There are bad ones. There are bad people, its a fact of life but generally, these guys are married to the force and commit more to work than most of us would for a not very wonderful wage.

Back when they were doing careers week at my old School, I had a mock interview for the Police with a bloke who I think was a Sarge from Snig Hill (Not Sun Hill), and to be honest I have always had an interest in Police work, probably comes from several years of watching The Bill... In fact I'm still considering trying to become a Volunteer PC next year, only thing that puts me off is that I doubt I'd pass the physical fitness requirements being disabled, 5'3" and 13 stone.

I think police officers have a rotten job at times, and I agree that without them we would be in real trouble. However, I believe that one of the reasons why the numbers haven't swelled to meet the growing crime rate is due to the way police pensions are funded.

I'm sure someone will correct this if its wrong but my understanding is: a police officer can retire at 48 on full pension after 30 years service. I can understand why as someone gets older, and possibly less fit they move off active, front line service, but surely their experience could be put to good use in a safer environment within the police force?

If the pensions were totally paid out of an existing fund, this may be ok, but my understanding is that they are met out of current police budgets, which reduces the amount left to employ more officers.

dont let anyone tell you any different-YES they are (complete buffoons)

Whilst generally agreeing with you mollymoon in the last few days around the country they have had some bad cases to deal with

I agree with just about everything that as been said on the subject of the south yorkshire police.we all have our own opinions regarding them.i think once you have a negative response from them when you require there assistance in some way that does alter your judgment about the police as a whole.where i live you Never see a police man/woman

there are guys running around on off road bikes etc vandalism is rife

our community police person is based at brinsworth.i live in greasbro.

whats the point in having them even if you dont see them.

if they cant come out when a crime as been commited then surley they are not going to patrol an area which brings them out of there nice cosy offices.