Why has Sheffield Council allowed this Chinese Takeaway to Remain Open?

That phrase "where customers can see it" is probably how they get round it, by putting it on display in a corner where nobody ever looks because the counter's on the other side, and accidentally piling newspapers in front of it.

Our local chippy does have theirs prominently on display, but their ratings are all gold-star standard.

IMO, The star rating ought to have to be published on the menu in a sit down establishment, and on the takeaway menus and on the 'menu board' in the establishment for a takeaway. Not in tiny writing either, there ought to be a minimum amount of space allocated like on cigarette packets. Not the same proportion of space obviously, but large enough for customers to make an informed choice.

There are levels of hygiene/quality at which the health inspectors will simply shut the place down on the spot; but there are other levels, not quite so bad but still bad, where they will serve notice that the establishment must improve within a certain length of time or face closure.

I don't know the details, but the principle is simple enough. Maybe "very bad" is a poor label for a level of hygiene which is still good enough to be allowed to stay open.

My bold.

Well, your post interested me, to the point where I've ordered a copy of the full inspection findings to be sent to me under a Freedom of Information request. It's the first FOI I've ever done, and I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Is canton King the one with the huge portions and where you can see them cooking in the back?

I've not been for years, but when I did go the portions were huge, the food tasty and there was always a big queue waiting.....They were certainly doing something right back in the day (assuming it is the same one).

Regards

Doom

The rating may not be directly with Hygiene, However it may be, I would have to see the two page report the enviromental health office fills in.

It rates everything from the cleanliness to the procedures and policies you have in place, they will certainly check the fridges and freezers and make sure you have arecord of them been kept at the correct temperature and cleaned on a regular basis.

If they are satisfied with this generally there will be a little bit more of an investigational walk round, If they find stuffs not labelled correctly and freezers in a mess and no or crap records then yes they will delve much deeper,

Delving deeper generally will be on hands and knees with a torch under equipment etc etc,

Unfortunatly without going in and having a look you may never know, However I was trained as a chef and If I am out for dinner at a pub or restaurant a good indication of cleanliness is the Chef who will be normally wandering about behind the bar.

If he/she is a scruff, can you imagine the kitchen or his/her food to be any better?

I'm sure the last time it got shut down was due to food hygene, something to do with how they were defrosting the fish and prawns, heard they was doing it in a bucket in the shed next to the dog (but that could just be Chinese whispers lol). When it reopened the menu said under new management. But all the staff was the same, so I think they just changed the name on the lease between them

IMO, The star rating ought to have to be published on the menu in a sit down establishment, and on the takeaway menus and on the 'menu board' in the establishment for a takeaway. Not in tiny writing either, there ought to be a minimum amount of space allocated like on cigarette packets. Not the same proportion of space obviously, but large enough for customers to make an informed choice.

I think that is a very good idea, is there anyone or any organisation you could contact, and put your idea forward. You never know it could become a regulation

One of our local takeaways has a 4-star rating (out of a possible 5). In spite of that, they still managed to deliver us food with a chopped up cigarette in! :gag:

Canton King rules!!!!!!!

To be fair they do seem to have cleared up the pile of dead flies off the window sill, it's a start....

The family decided to have a takeaway last night. I was feeling a bit off-colour, so didn't want much to eat, so they decided on a Chinese as it's my least favourite.

There's three Chinese takeaways literally bang next to each other on Middlewood Road, and we had menus for all three; I'm so pleased we didn't choose Canton King. :gag:

The last council health inspection rates the level of hygiene, and the working environment as, in their own words 'Very Bad'. They also add they have no confidence in the management.

Why did they not just close it down? Surely, if it was 'Very Bad' someone could likely become ill eating from there.

Link here:

http://www.scoresonthedoors.org.uk/business/canton-king-sheffield-75025.html

Surely your family should have been thinking of you and taking your needs and want's into consideration. Just a thought as a mother and all that.:cool:

Bhajis in Market Square, Woodhouse got a similar rating. I thought they would have been closed down the minute an inspector set foot in the place if the number of dead flies in the flourescent tube diffusers was anything to go by.

absolutely disgustin place

that scores on the doors is a joke. all you do is fill in a care of duty book to say you checked the temperature of food , you have watched the DVD of how to wash hands which gets you the stars -

as if there is not enough preparation/ paper work to do for a take away (its just not a matter of tossing a wok lol)

must admit there are on the spot , behind the freezer checks also :)

therefore having no stars doesnt mean bad hygiene standards. Just means when the inspector arrived, they could not prove how they maintain their maintenance regime which includes having paper towels near dedicated hand wash basins and health and safety cards , appropriate raw/cooked knives/chopping boards.