Call Centres: The Poor-Houses of the 21st Century?

So from my quick calculations you're owed about 800 quid.

Originally posted by gizmo

to help you in you calculations consider the fact that the excessive amount of units used is because the meter was charging more for them so using them up quicker.

Actually, I don't get that. The amount of electricity used is determined by your demand. Surely whether you are charged 1p per unit or 1 pound per unit, it has no bearing on how many units you consume. Am I missing something or am I just being stupid?

Nomme

Originally posted by nomme

Am I missing something or am I just being stupid?

Neither, but I think you've passed the call centre test.:D:rolleyes:

Originally posted by gizmo

Heres a test to see if you can work in a call centre(or do better than the one ive been battling since August 03)

a man comes to read your electric meter and discovers that it is set to the wrong tariff (Set to 6.33 per unit instead of 2.49)

so you have been paying nearly three times more for you power than you should have. okay got that one?

the house has one of those token meter things in that was here when we moved in so it is impossible to use electric without paying for it first. still with me?

given the above facts take a simple stab at whether they owe me money or i owe it them

my version....i want the difference back between what i should have paid and what i actually charged,because the meter was over charging.

their version...........you have used 21000 units at 2.49 and on top of what you have already paid we want another £467.86. because you havent paid enough.

to help you in you calculations consider the fact that the excessive amount of units used is because the meter was charging more for them so using them up quicker.

for gods sake someone save me from the faceless chretins at this call centre

Seems that the previous occupants of your house had a debt and the token meter was calibrated to collect that debt hence 6.33p instead of 2.49p per unit. In other words you were paying for the electricity you used and also the electricity they owed for. Is the supply in your name?

Originally posted by nomme

Actually, I don't get that. The amount of electricity used is determined by your demand. Surely whether you are charged 1p per unit or 1 pound per unit, it has no bearing on how many units you consume. Am I missing something or am I just being stupid?

Nomme

Right consider it this way you use 10 units of electricity regardless of how much it cost.

But say its costs 1p for 1 unit. So you have paid 10p.

But say you were paying 2p for unit. So you paid 20p for your electricity. Therefore you have been overcharged by 10p. Hope that explains it for you.

Of course we could all go into the Kwh explanation, but i dont think we need to go there.

Skatie

Firstly may I point out that I currently work at a call centre, I have moved from one bad call centre (which sale driven) to a customer service one for a different company.

Now when you ring a call centre after you get though the IVR (menu) which are there to help direct a call to someone who is trained to do it. ie 1 sales 2 customer service obviously a person in 2 customer service may not have the systems to sell items to you and it is not there job they are not trained in sales etc. So don't get mad at them. They will if they can ( there compaines fault not theirs if they can't) A case in point Midland Mainline train tickets are sold by Qjump in Sheffield they can only deal with tickets sold by them not problems with the train station etc which is dealt with by Midland Mainline customer relations in Derby. The IVR will direct you to the right department.

I do understand that some call centres treat their staff better than others, it is why I moved. I currently work for DSG who are great. Nice call centre (its the one on the parkway near the tram depot) nice staff and management, and nice level of holidays.

One thing to remember the person you are talking to is a person, try and stay calm and they will help you. Please remeber that if you shout your voice becomes distorted on the phone so they can't help you. Never swear at a call handler as they don't deserve it, and if its me after a warning I will disconnect the call. Do not put up with it from the kids won't from strangers.

As you will hear when you call these place it tells you that you call may be recorded or monitored and the reason why, do not think you can do the same. Well you can, but you have to inform the person that the call is being recoreded, they can refuse so don't be offended if they do, it is there right, just like your is to put down the phone when you here that message.

Do not be sursprised if the call handler refuses to give there surname, I always do, but give my extension instead. I do this for my own protection as my call centre is the only one in the company that deals with the call I do, so my place of work is reachable and traceable, so if I can not help a customer and they then want to track me down and speak to me in person, I will make it as hard as possible to do that. but I am always tracable at work though my extension. Also please remeber that the person who dealt with you may not be there. My hours of work can range from 9am-8pm some call centres open earlier and later and some 24 hours most call handlers will work shifts. So one week they will finish at 8pm the next start at 9am, or belive it or not hacve a day off, be on holiday or god forbid be sick.

Hope this helps when dealing with call centres, some are good some are bad (Yorkshire Cable/Blueyonder).

Jubby

Originally posted by Skatiechik

Right consider it this way you use 10 units of electricity regardless of how much it cost.

But say its costs 1p for 1 unit. So you have paid 10p.

But say you were paying 2p for unit. So you paid 20p for your electricity. Therefore you have been overcharged by 10p. Hope that explains it for you.

Of course we could all go into the Kwh explanation, but i dont think we need to go there.

Skatie

Thank you Skatie, but yes I do understand the overcharging bit. As I said in my post if you read it again I reckon he/she is owed around 800 quid.

What I don't understand is this :

Can you explain that? How does the increased cost per unit cause more electricity to be used?

Nomme

But when I phone up on a neighbours phone to report that my phone isn't working (after being put on hold for over half-an-hour) and am finally told that it will be a week before an engineer can get round to my house, how am I supposed to react?

I am of course going to be upset. You would be wouldn't you?

This happened to me around 18 months ago.

I made numerous other calls to complain but no matter what I said, I could not get to the right person to complain to. I was so angry, I can tell you.

Eventually, after many, many calls and listening to hours and hours of supposedly soothing background music, I was given one month's free internet as an apology.

The engineer came and fixed it on time. One week later.

Originally posted by Sam Miguel

But when I phone up on a neighbours phone to report that my phone isn't working (after being put on hold for over half-an-hour) and am finally told that it will be a week before an engineer can get round to my house, how am I supposed to react?

I am of course going to be upset. You would be wouldn't you?

This happened to me around 18 months ago.

I made numerous other calls to complain but no matter what I said, I could not get to the right person to complain to. I was so angry, I can tell you.

Eventually, after many, many calls and listening to hours and hours of supposedly soothing background music, I was given one month's free internet as an apology.

The engineer came and fixed it on time. One week later.

What I was saying is because you were on hold for a long time, and they couldn't get anyone to you for a week, son't have a go at the call handler it is not there fault. Ask to speak to someone in charge, or write in to complain.

The call handler is doing there best to help you belive me, they don't want you shouting at them, so if they could anything to stop you shouting they will. As you were given a months free interent the company has admitted they have failed you there, and compensated you for it.

I generally try my very best to be as friendly as possible to any call handler when I'm trying to get good service - just out and out good manners and asking for help gets me the most amazing results most times...

After all, it's a real person on the end of the line (possibly even crossing their legs with their hand in the air ;) ) and we all know the only thing that gets anything done despite the system is people!

Even when I'm absolutely fed up with a situation I find asking the person at the other end to understand how I feel after being polite gets the best response...

your mileage may differ but it works for me :thumbsup:

But listen now: I can't help shouting at people on the phone - it's just a part of my nature. I have no quarrel with the call handlers, you understand. I am merely striving for justice and fair play for all.

I asked to speak to someone in charge, but still got nowhere. It really gets my goat! I believe that call handlers are scared of calling their supervisors over to deal with a problem, as it means they aren't handling the job properly themselves.

I only got the month's free internet because I requested it in a measured way ( well, OK then: demanded it loudly ). But I think it was the least they could do after how shabbily I had been treated, I am sure you will agree.

Originally posted by Sam Miguel

Don't talk to me about call-centres. They have subjected me to infinite levels of stress over the past two or three years.

Have a listen to this one! (file was passed around our work, I have no connection with BT!)

[Moderater Note: Contains swearing and may be offensive to some]

http://test.actconsult.net/tom/britishtelecom.mp3

What's the worst type of call anyone in a call centre has dealt with?

p.s. if it ever becomes clear the 1st person can't help me I always, very politely ask to speak to someone who does have the authority to make a decision in my favour ;)

Always escalate up the chain if you're not getting the service or respect you think you deserve!