The Lowdrop Pub

I came across an old photo of a deralict pub .called (The Lowdrop) .somewhere in attercliffe ..does anyone know where it was , and how it got its name.

Edited by suprisestorm

Hi there is a pub nick named THE LOW DROP in handsworth S13 [Cross Keys ]:hihi::hihi::hihi:

there was indeed a pub of that name.it was down stevenson rd somewhere on the backstreets on the way to the midland pub.it was nestled in between the steel works.i think the road was called east coast road

The Low Drop pub was situated HERE .

The walled area to the side of it, was Jonas & Colvers rolling mill. Lads working the night shift, would be locked in the works, the only exit being via the weighbridge/ security man's office. When they wanted a pint, they would climb over the wall or send a young lad with a jug, to take the 'low drop' into the pub's yard.

The pub, which for years was nicknamed The Low Drop, (may have then been the "Crown") was officially renamed the Low Drop sometime during the early 80's. They would also do sandwiches around 8.30 am such as a 'tom dip' or dripping or an egg butty but never for some reason ever had the usual bacon or sausage.

My father (chippy Clarke) worked for Jonas & Colver, in the rolling mills. The mill he worked in was directly behind the 'low drop'(Crown). He told me the lad over the wall, was how it got its nick name, but I still can't think which low wall someone could get over, the wall in the mill which was adjacent to the pub must have been 20ft high with a roof resting on it..still, a good story.

The Low Drop pub was situated HERE .

The walled area to the side of it, was Jonas & Colvers rolling mill. Lads working the night shift, would be locked in the works, the only exit being via the weighbridge/ security man's office. When they wanted a pint, they would climb over the wall or send a young lad with a jug, to take the 'low drop' into the pub's yard.

The pub, which for years was nicknamed The Low Drop, (may have then been the "Crown") was officially renamed the Low Drop sometime during the early 80's. They would also do sandwiches around 8.30 am such as a 'tom dip' or dripping or an egg butty but never for some reason ever had the usual bacon or sausage.

Thank you handypandy ..very interesting!

After a bit of hunting I have found this picture. The Crown Inn ( Low Drop) can be seen on the left of the photograph... Clicky

This Google streetview from a similar angle Link

I was an apprentice at AL&S Crown Works on Bessemer Road. Attercliffe the pub opposite (Crown) was known as the Low Drop

I was told it was called the LOW DROP because the ground floor was a step down from the pavement . I used this pub after a morning shift a FIRTH BROWNS . During the war and for sometime after, it opened at 6 am for the nightshift workers to have a drink on their way home , although it was only allowed to sell beers and stouts.

My father (chippy Clarke) worked for Jonas & Colver, in the rolling mills. The mill he worked in was directly behind the 'low drop'(Crown). He told me the lad over the wall, was how it got its nick name, but I still can't think which low wall someone could get over, the wall in the mill which was adjacent to the pub must have been 20ft high with a roof resting on it..still, a good story.

HI GEOTOMi used to work at j+colvers yre dad was my roller in 8inch mill.nd i usede to fetch ale from the low drop when harold was landlord.

Hi there is a pub nick named THE LOW DROP in handsworth S13 [Cross Keys ]:hihi::hihi::hihi:

thats lower drop just below the cross keyes