Anyone from the village of woodhouse

Does anyone remember denise and dawn dawson who lived on the badger estate.

hi anyone remember my grandma and grandad,they was in the salvation army in woodhouse.elsie and harold ellis

Goldenbabe1966

Was your dad born on the Mauncer Crescent if it was the same man I knew, he and his parents lived three doors away from me.

Nanrobbo

The Robinsons you are talking of did they have son called Billy if so we lived across from them

Goldenbabe1966

Was your dad born on the Mauncer Crescent if it was the same man I knew, he and his parents lived three doors away from me.

no my dad lived on arbourthorne but my grandma and grandad lived on watch street woodhouse

I did not live in Woodhouse, but went to Woodhouse Grammar School Sept 1951 to July 1958.

My father was well known in Woodhouse, having lived on Sheffield Road until age 21 - in 1938 when he married my mother and went to live in Swallownest.

His name - Victor Bartholomew Hutchinson - radio and tv repairs all around the area - the first to do tv's in the area, but in 1963 he changed to being a garage proprietor at Swallownest and Handsworth

Many of the pubs and street names you mention I remember, particulalrly the Station Hotel, run by ny fathers friend Peter Hollis and his wife Kath, but add to those :-

G.L.Curr and Son - watches, radios, cycles, tv's - George Curr and his son Derek Curr - Derek married a girl by the name of Edith Bowler from Balmoral Road

Win Camden - hats and millinery - her husband was Bill Fathers who worked at Cocker Brothers Springs at Attercliffe

Bill White chemist

George Hotel - Stones pub I think - all above on same side of Market place

opposite side was newsagents - ?? and a few other shops

Not far from the libray was the garage - Cliff ??

The projectionist at the cinema was Charlie Denton

There was a guy who cooked dinners at home and then served his lunchtime customers, a building above where the toilets were, and close to the Meadow shop. He was knows as Josh "Dinners" Dyson - had a gammy leg

On Beighton Road there was the butchers shop on the corner with Station Road, had 2 sons, Glyn and Peter, then there was Mossis's furniture shop, a fish and chip shop, one or two other shops and the greengrocers at the end on the corner with Balmoral Road. Family who had that were called Whinfrey - still in contact with the elder son - Fred

My uncle was a Woddhouse guy, born about 1918, Kenneth Brooks - lived on Balmoral Road, just a bit futher down from Jim Maxwell the coach proprietor - business later taken over by his son Nobby. One of the houses just below Maxwells rented out their front room to a dentist

There was the first betting shop opened down Station Road, by Mr Finley, and taken over by his son Trevor.

Other business behind shops on Market Place was Keetons, taxis, wedding card, funeral cars, underakers etc.. Now located at Orgreave and part of a national chain of undertakers

I remember a lot more, but not the names at the moment. I left Swallownst in Nov 1867 and moved to Driffield near Bridlington, then in late 2006 moved my company and manufacturing to Malaysia, near to Kuala Lumpur

Hope this helps your memories - Victor Marshall Hutchinson, Wangsa Baiduri, Subang Jaya, Selangor D.E., Malaysia

On Beighton Road there was the butchers shop on the corner with Station Road, had 2 sons, Glyn and Peter, then there was Mossis's furniture shop, a fish and chip shop, one or two other shops and the greengrocers at the end on the corner with Balmoral Road. Family who had that were called Whinfrey - still in contact with the elder son - Fred

blimey how things change

on that row of shops i remember on the corner with station road was an electrical shop (where i used to buy zx spectrum games), there was also a video shop and shop that sold sweets, trying to think what else was on that row......hairdressers and estate agents?

mine was about early to mid 80s tho

I did not live in Woodhouse, but went to Woodhouse Grammar School Sept 1951 to July 1958.

My father was well known in Woodhouse, having lived on Sheffield Road until age 21 - in 1938 when he married my mother and went to live in Swallownest.

His name - Victor Bartholomew Hutchinson - radio and tv repairs all around the area - the first to do tv's in the area, but in 1963 he changed to being a garage proprietor at Swallownest and Handsworth

Many of the pubs and street names you mention I remember, particulalrly the Station Hotel, run by ny fathers friend Peter Hollis and his wife Kath, but add to those :-

G.L.Curr and Son - watches, radios, cycles, tv's - George Curr and his son Derek Curr - Derek married a girl by the name of Edith Bowler from Balmoral Road

Win Camden - hats and millinery - her husband was Bill Fathers who worked at Cocker Brothers Springs at Attercliffe

Bill White chemist

George Hotel - Stones pub I think - all above on same side of Market place

opposite side was newsagents - ?? and a few other shops

Not far from the libray was the garage - Cliff ??

The projectionist at the cinema was Charlie Denton

There was a guy who cooked dinners at home and then served his lunchtime customers, a building above where the toilets were, and close to the Meadow shop. He was knows as Josh "Dinners" Dyson - had a gammy leg

My uncle was a Woddhouse guy, born about 1918, Kenneth Brooks - lived on Balmoral Road, just a bit futher down from Jim Maxwell the coach proprietor - business later taken over by his son Nobby. One of the houses just below Maxwells rented out their front room to a dentist

There was the first betting shop opened down Station Road, by Mr Finley, and taken over by his son Trevor.

Other business behind shops on Market Place was Keetons, taxis, wedding card, funeral cars, underakers etc.. Now located at Orgreave and part of a national chain of undertakers

I remember a lot more, but not the names at the moment. I left Swallownst in Nov 1867 and moved to Driffield near Bridlington, then in late 2006 moved my company and manufacturing to Malaysia, near to Kuala Lumpur

Hope this helps your memories - Victor Marshall Hutchinson, Wangsa Baiduri, Subang Jaya, Selangor D.E., Malaysia

Hi,

I remember Fred Whinfrey...how's he keeping? Does he still live in this area?

"Woodhouse"

Regards...Cal

Does anyone looking at this thread remember Ray Houghton? He was one of my good friends at City Grammar School from 1954 onwards. We lost touch when we left the school. He lived at Woodhouse Mill. I visited his house a couple of times but can't remember the address now. I remember that his parents were members of the Salvation Army.

Rod

Does anyone have any information on early landlords of the Cross Daggers in Woodhouse? My 3 x great grandfather was the landlord in around the 1840s and his daughter died there aged 62 in 1903. The name was Osbaldeston.

Hi

Very delayed reply. Anyone know the Bingley family from Rodman Street??

My granddad would have rambled around the pubs in Woodhouse in the 60s, Anthony (Tony) Staniforth was his name, he's 74 now, lived over on Stradbroke.