Anyone from the village of woodhouse

I remember someone called Tina from this shop

On 08/11/2018 at 08:13, Savv said:

We are the croft family that had the offy next door to shepherds.

I remember a Tina from this shop

On 08/11/2018 at 08:08, mary70 said:

my mum worked at mannings for 26 years, I worked at Andersons and Shepard's when I left school

Remember mannings well, went there the last few times ive been to woodhus for chips, sadly not many times apart from funerals. I did work experience at Andersons, still got mi paperwork lol (mustve been 83, 84? as i left school 85)

On 12/01/2019 at 21:35, gaz 786 said:

Worked at crosby kitchens for 19 years most of workforce come from woodus and surrounding areas lol gaffer lived on badger Graham Truelove ..nice bloke to be honest

tha trying to say us Badger lot arent nice blokes? :P

On 23/11/2016 at 00:03, victormh said:

Dear Barrie

Although born in Swallownest July 1940 and later going to Woodhouse Grammar School 1951/1958 I know a lot of Woodhouse people.

Re your living above the old G.L.Curr and Son shop in Market Place, that would be after my Uncle George Curr retired. In its heyday aas watchmakers, jewellers, cycles, radio and tv my dad Victor Bartholomew Hutchinson ran the radio/tv/electrical side. He was adopted by George Curr and his wife around 1930 after his grandparents moved away from Woodhouse. They lived on Sheffield Road

My Dad then started his own business in 1960 and eventually retired as owner of Crest Service Station at the top of Handsworth plus 3 other car sales sites. My parents moved to Bempton Near Bridlington in 1979

All the other things you mention bring back vivid memories, but you didnt mention Keetons Taxis and Undertakers being in the yard at the back of the shops

Winnie Camden was married to Bill Fathers who was manager at Cocker Brothers Springs in Attercliffe. Chemist at that time was Bill White and he used to play high stakes cards with George Curr until he was too full of whiskey to see the numbers

Looking at your age you will probably remember my cousins - Christine and Michael Brooks who lived down Balmoral Road untill about 1950/1951 when they moved to Ballifield Estate - both still alive and well of course. In the same yard lived Trevor Finlay whos father became the Bookmakers on Station Road

Their father being Kenneth Brooks, married to my mothers younger sister Hilda Marshall from Swallownest

I remember my Dads good friend Charlie Denton who was the cinema projectionist - his son Charlie lives in Thorpe Salvin

Do you remember the Whinfreys - there was the older sister who died in a road accident, Fred who is my age and the younger son Raynor who I think lives in the houses at the sire of the Iron Bridge on Retford Road

I could go on for a long time Barrie and if you want to echange more pleaze let me have your e mail address.

I moved from Swallownest to Driffield in 1967 and although we have our house there I live most of the year in Malaysia where I moved my business's to in late 2006. My wife spends her year split between Driffield, Kuala Lumpur and Vancouver where our eldest daughter lives

Made my morning (8 hours ahead of you) when I read your message

Very Best Wishes - From Subang Jaya, State of Selangor, Malaysia - (bit cool this morning, only 85 degrees at 8-00am) - Victor Marshall Hutchinson

Trevor Finlay lives on Rodger Road woodhouse  ran a driving school 

Thanks Barrie

Often wonder if people I knew many years ago are still alive and kicking

Trevor must be 80 at least now because he is a bit older than myself and I will be 79 in July 2019

Many years ago when he was running his fathers betting shop on Station Road, opposite the bottom end of Balmoral Road, I often saw him in the Staion Hotel opposite what was then Woodhouse Grammar School. Don't think I have seen him since about 1965/66 now

Best Wishes from Malaysia - Victor

13 hours ago, victormh said:

Thanks Barrie

Often wonder if people I knew many years ago are still alive and kicking

Trevor must be 80 at least now because he is a bit older than myself and I will be 79 in July 2019

Many years ago when he was running his fathers betting shop on Station Road, opposite the bottom end of Balmoral Road, I often saw him in the Staion Hotel opposite what was then Woodhouse Grammar School. Don't think I have seen him since about 1965/66 now

Best Wishes from Malaysia - Victor

Yes trevor will be about 80 now still going strong

Spider 1 ,I saw Trevor quite recently and he's looking quite fit and he still has a good sense of humour. I also saw that Eric Batham passed away last week, another character.

3 hours ago, bladebeer said:

Spider 1 ,I saw Trevor quite recently and he's looking quite fit and he still has a good sense of humour. I also saw that Eric Batham passed away last week, another character.

3 hours ago, bladebeer said:

Hi sorry to hear about eric a great lad we had a some good days on the bank but not seen him for about 3 years as i live in handsworth now  

On 03/02/2007 at 15:11, helibish said:

i grew up in the 80s and i went to woodhouse west then city. i lived in hackenthorpe at the time but live here in woodhouse now. my mum and dad lived here for years, my dad recently passed away his name was jack bishop.

Hi I think I knew your Dad, well I used to knock around with a Jack Bishop in the 70s, I was born 1960 in Woodhouse moved onto Hackenthorpe in the 70s Wickfield Rd. really sorry to here he has passed away. 

On 15/01/2019 at 19:44, spider1 said:

Hi sorry to hear about eric a great lad we had a some good days on the bank but not seen him for about 3 years as i live in handsworth now  

So do I,but Woodhouse isn't what it used to be.

On 08/11/2018 at 08:08, mary70 said:

my mum worked at mannings for 26 years, I worked at Andersons and Shepard's when I left school

I’m Maureen and John shepherd’s  granddaughter. We were just wondering when you would have worked at Grandad’s shop. 

On 13/01/2019 at 21:47, melthebell said:

Remember mannings well, went there the last few times ive been to woodhus for chips, sadly not many times apart from funerals. I did work experience at Andersons, still got mi paperwork lol (mustve been 83, 84? as i left school 85)

tha trying to say us Badger lot arent nice blokes? :P

Worked at crosby kitchens for 19 years most of workforce come from woodus and surrounding areas lol gaffer lived on badger Graham Truelove ..nice bloke to be honest

Remember PLYWOOD from Handsworth

1 hour ago, spider1 said:

Remember PLYWOOD from Handsworth

Purdys down woodhus mill was mi dads main port of call