Ripwire Closing Down

As the thread http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-16910835 Ripwire are closing.

What implications does this have for other SYDR providers and are there likely to be others going the same way?

I'm just about to sign up with Origin (as soon as BT sort my local cabinet out!) but am now having second thoughts.

As the thread http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-16910835 Ripwire are closing.

What implications does this have for other SYDR providers and are there likely to be others going the same way?

I'm just about to sign up with Origin (as soon as BT sort my local cabinet out!) but am now having second thoughts.

this is already being discussed on the unofficial ripwire forum

Second thoughts, why? :huh:

What's the absolute worst that could happen? They just pull the plug on the entire network, and you're without net access a few days, while BT get's is ar*e in gear and gets people transferred back to their network..

The above scenario is highly unlikely however.

this is already being discussed on the unofficial ripwire forum

And in the other DR thread below this:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=890396

On the impact, perhaps DR couldn't support 5 ISPs - 4 should mean more subs per ISP and therefore a better chance of survival.

The real problem with DR is that it's not advertised..

The real problem with DR is that it's not advertised..

we've been saying this since 2010 - the only advertising that they seem to be getting is all the negative advertisements and not the positive ones...

they really need a kick up the backside and start doing something fast....

LittleBigOne will not STOP advertising at me. It seems Google picked up that I visited their site and now slaps their advert on every site that uses Google Ads.

Origin on the other hand it sounds like they are already busy enough taking new signups to not need to advertise right now.

Still, I really think they should put a sticker on all the Digital Region cabinets pointing them to a website that lists all the ISPs on the network. Surely as this is a council endorsed project its not THAT hard to get permission?

As for ISPs failing, as pointed out above, if there is one less ISP on the network then that is less competition for the ones remaining which would mean them LESS likely to fail. The one thing that WILL cause them to fail is people refusing to use the network due to fearing its demise, its a self fulfilling prophesy.

Hello,

I have dealt with both RipWire (work) and Origin (home). If you ask me both providers are completely different in terms of the network and how they are run for performance and reliability as well as completely different levels of customer care!

If you ask me Origin are a really good business to deal with they are very passionate about the Digital Region project and will do whatever they can to help you migrate from your existing provider to a new one. Their support is second to none and they are always willing to hep and resolve problems (if any!) .I can certainly say that RipWire did not and you could go months without communication and I feel this is one of the reasons why the business has failed and why so many customers were already frustrated with them! They also provided many other services not associcated with the Digital Region project and whilst they say DRL made them fail I feel this is not the case as DRL was just another product they offered and they had been trading for some years previous to DRL even been active!

I am really impressed with the whole service from Origin and how they do things and deal with customers etc. I wouldn’t have second thoughts I went from 2Mb to 40Mb and speaking to India to speaking to some Yorkshire lads and lasses!

You say you’re waiting on BT to sort your local cabinet out? What appears to be the issue… I feel your pain if your relying on BT though.

Hope the info helps and re-assures you to get on board the DRL project and support a local business!

Results from http://www.speed.io/

(Copied on 2012-02-07 19:34:11)

Download: 37859 Kbit/s

Upload : 9108 kbit/s

Connects : 1509 conn/min

Ping: 31 ms

http://speed.io/pics/5237/7741/speed.io.png

Much nicer than my throttled, traffic managed and flakey BT "upto 20mb" connection that ran at a flakey 3-4Mbs..

Buffering? What's that :)

I just really hope that the Network is experiencing growing pains, and will suceed.. I fear lots of us will be left in the Broadband wilderness if it goes under!

The whole Digital Region project was ill thought out if they REALLY thought they would be making profit after the first year or two.

Its a big expensive project that is going to need some serious investment to keep running. After all, the reason BT weren't supposed to be doing FTTC in South Yorkshire is THEY didn't think they could get sufficient return on their investment. If BT with their experience and advertising weight didn't consider it viable, why on earth did the councils think they could do better with less resources?

Now BT changed their mind, but even that is suspicious as they have put cabinets all around where I am but they are silent and the Infinity line checker still says I cannot get the service. Its as if they are waiting to see if Digital Region fails so they can buy the existing infrastructure but they fitted the cabinets to make it LOOK like they were actually doing something, a bluff.

Edited by AlexAtkin

I am in Stannington also and just going through the signing up process with Origin...........as Stannington is dismal speed wise(1meg) and is not about to improve from any of the big boys for some time!.

Had nothing but polite enthusiasm and help from the Origin people so far,and will report back shortly to all

(Have been promised at least 20meg)

Edited by mossdog

Hello,

You say you’re waiting on BT to sort your local cabinet out? What appears to be the issue… I feel your pain if your relying on BT though.

Hope the info helps and re-assures you to get on board the DRL project and support a local business!

The area I am in was officially live at the end of November and I had confirmation from Origin so obtained a mac code from my current provider. Unfortunately the actual cabinet that supplies my line is not live but should have been. The problem has been BT connecting the cabinet to their phone network and the date has been put back time and again. Nothing to do with Origin at all but at the moment there's a large hole appeared next to the cabinet so I'm hopeful it will be live very soon.

I will definitely be migrating as soon as the cabinet is live but Ripwire going out of business just raised a few questions.

The area I am in was officially live at the end of November and I had confirmation from Origin so obtained a mac code from my current provider. Unfortunately the actual cabinet that supplies my line is not live but should have been. The problem has been BT connecting the cabinet to their phone network and the date has been put back time and again. Nothing to do with Origin at all but at the moment there's a large hole appeared next to the cabinet so I'm hopeful it will be live very soon.

I will definitely be migrating as soon as the cabinet is live but Ripwire going out of business just raised a few questions.

Yes there always appears to be a few cabinets within an area that don’t go live when the majority of them do. It’s normally something simple such as final tests or connections.

It sounds like BT are putting the pair tie in to the cabinet. This is simply the link between the normal BT PCP and the DRL Fibre cabinet. They will probably sort it pretty quick so you shouldn’t be waiting too long if that’s the only thing left to do!

Any business closing is a concern but rest assured Origin for ISP’s should be a good choice.