Induction at Jessops - Anything I should be Asking?

Hi, i was induced at Jessops at 42wks, 15 mths ago. The pessary was put in about 1pm my contractions started at 8.30pm but were irregular. At 1.30am they became regular and the pessary was removed. By 3.am i was in delivery ruit and started with gas and air and tens. I had to stay on the trace when i went to delivery and couldnt use my ball or anything. My little boy was born at 7.40am. He is my 1st so i have nothing to compare it to but i found the pain ok. Good luck x

I was induced at 38 weeks in October. I wasn't sure if my waters had broken or not, and I had a group B strep infection.

Spent the night before in there, on an antibiotic drip, and then got induced in the morning. The drip had to be up full whack to start me off, as it wasn't doing anything.

Once the contractions did kick in, I was in a lot more pain than I remember with the other 2 births. Midwife then had to break my waters, so, I think they hadn't gone, or not fully anyway. Once the waters were broken, contractions came a lot easier, and they turned the drip down. Labour took 3 hours from the moment they started. I had been on the drip from 7am, and she was born at 4.25pm, so for about 6 hours, the drip hadn't been doing very much at all.

Many women do need an epidural for induction because the body's natural coping mechanisms don't have time to work.

Induction before 40 weeks does seem to increase the risk of c-section and epidurals definitely do increase the risk of forceps or ventouse.

However if you want to try and cope without an epidural and give your body the best chance of going through induction successfully then hypnosis is a really good idea. CDs will help but doing a full hypnobirthing course may be even better. Other things to consider - try to stay upright as much as possible so gravity is helping the baby move downwards. You will probably be continuously monitored with a belt monitor. Ask the midwife to help you get into a position on the bed where the monitor is on but you are not lying down -see this website for some ideas http://www.rcmnormalbirth.org.uk/practice/positions-in-labour-and-birth/

Best of luck

I forgot to say, I only used gas and air, but in the last few minutes before she was born, the pain in my back got so bad that I was starting to REALLY get uncomfortable. Midwife said I was only 7cm dilated, and still had ages to go, so I started to think I might need an epidural, but the midwife gave me a morphine shot for the time being. I don't know how that worked for the pain, as I decided I wasn't going any longer, and managed to get baby out within 2 minutes, although midwife warned me not to push until I was 10cm (she had said earlier my cervix was rather 'stretchy' so I guess that helped!). All the morphine did for me was make me sick and drowsy for the next 24 hours.

Best advice in my opinion: You can still push with an epidural, a good midwife will assist you with the timings and logistics - this could save you having a forceps delivery. If they don't offer you the chance, ask for it, before they opt for the forceps or ventouse.

I think I will look into the hypno-birthing a bit more. Although not sure how much time in advance you need it to work? The CD said you should play it right from the start of the pregnancy. I will be 35 weeks tomorrow. I will see if there is any hypnosis that works in a few weeks.

I was given morphine when the epidural kinked and it made me feel sick too, I think it does it to everyone. They gave me some other medication to make me stop feeling sick though but they might not be able to give you that during labour. I will say for me though it did take the pain away really quickly, within a few seconds. I didn't think it would be so quick but it really worked for me.

definitely reccommend hypnobrithing - i used rachael at birth peacefully, she is on here as well if you search for her user name

i was induced in december at 38 weeks - my wtaers had broken 3 days before and i was at risk of infection blah blah. anyway, there was no mention at all of c-section they just put me on the drip, which didnt work for 12 hours so they hoiked it up and i was only in what they call active labour for 51 minutes! i used gas and air, and a morphine shot as the pain is more intense with inducement, but hypnobirthing was such a help to me.

best of luck, please dont worry about what you can't control - just let your body do its thing :)

Hi, I was induced in April 2010 as I was overdue and had complications through pregnancy with my iron. I had the pessary inserted at 3pm on the Sunday and everything was happening so quick that it was taken out at 3am the Monday morning (was told it would in 24 hours and nothing would happen for a couple of days!) Our daughter was born at 1.40pm normally on the Monday and I had just gas and air. The worst part for me was most of my pains was in my back but other than that it was fine :-) I had a private room before the birth and then went on to a ward afterwards. Good luck xx

Hi, I was induced at Jessops just over a week ago. I was 40 wks n 5 days and induced due to developing pre-eclampsia.

The induction went well with my waters breaking with out assistance, as soon as they had gone the contractions started- these were really strong and close together!

I was given the epidural partly due to the induction, but more to try to help control my Bp which was very high due my condition.

My waters broke at 10am and by 10pm I was 10cm dilated and feeling the urge to push (the epidural had started to wear off a little so I had the feeling but no pain) my baby was born just after midnight. The labour would have been even faster but I had to be put on a magnesium drip to control my Bp which slowed my contractions!

The labour was very relaxed and an enjoyable experience, and the care provided at Jessops was of a very high standard.

I really really did not want to have an epidural, but it want half as bad as I had thought and up to now u have had no problems with back pain.

I found the consultants very difficult to get any information out if, but the midwives caring for me spent time discussing the process and answering my questions, which put me at ease!

Good luck with everything, keep am open mind and try to enjoy it. When you hold your baby in your arms for the first time it will all be worth it!

Where can we get hypnobirthing CDs from?

I do personally think with any labour induced or not that it's important to keep open minded and basically go with the flow, you don't know how you will feel about certain things until the time comes.