Induction at Jessops - Anything I should be Asking?

Due to anti-bodies I have been booked for an induction at 38 weeks. So far I have found staff a little reluctant to give me information. I read on the internet about most women with anti-bodies been induced around 37 weeks. When I asked the consultant about this he didn't give me a straight answer but eventually admitted that yes he would recommend an induction at 37 to 38 weeks.

I also went to my anti-natal classes last weekend and the midwife didn't really want to talk about pain relief, complications, etc. She said that it would be talked through with me at the time if need be. However, I know that a C-Section is more likely with induction and they also recommend that you have an epidural. When I asked about the epidural she said they recommend it because for me there will be no gradual build up it will be straight from 0 to 60 so I might not be able to cope.

However, I have had an epidural before which kinked in my back. I had this when my kidney was removed some years ago not for labour (this is my first pregnancy). I can not describe how much this hurt, the words agony and excruciating do not come close. I was writhing around on the hospital bed, screaming my head off for at least 45 mins as the doctor refused to see me until he finished is rounds. I therefore have a serious fear of this happening again and being left to suffer because a doctor is "busy" doing something else (I could understand if he was busy due to an emergency but not seeing me because he was doing his rounds to me is unacceptable). However, I also know that this is unlikely to happen again but for me the fear is serious.

The midwife who was there at my appointment gave me a leaflet about induction and said that we would discuss it at the next appointment, I am wondering if there is anything I should be asking? Or anything I should know that they may not want to tell me?

PS. Sorry for the long post.

I was induced with my first 6years ago, the midwife broke my waters and put me on the drip, she did reccomend an epidural as she said it will be painful, 1 because of the hormone drip and 2 because when the waters have gone there's nothing to cushion the contractions. I was like "oh I will be ok, see how I go on". I managed 2 hours with nothing and an hour on gas and air then had the epidural, ah the relief! I'm not sure about c sections being more common but I think the use of forceps and vontuse are with epidural because you cant feel when or how hard to push. I had a forcep delivery.

this being said, I'm sure many people don't have the epidural when being induced, every labour is different and different people cope in different ways.

The neighbour of a friend recently had an epidural which didn't work for some reason, but she'd done hypnobirthing which she swears she couldn't have managed without. I don't know if this is something you might want to find out about

Is the C section compulsory? I had a 0-60 birth naturally - the contractions didn't ramp up, they just went for it. I was put in a consultant led room, H was wired up and monitored, but as she wasn't getting distressed, they let thins take their course, monitoring me more often than would be usual. Eventually they cut me, but at least I didn't have to go through the C section

Hi there, I had an induction at jessops. For different reasons than yours but I can honestly say that being induced was fine. Not sure what information you need but my induction consisted of:

Being taken into hosp, into my own room with own bathroom which is always a bonus when in hosp! Then I had a pessary inserted to start my labour off but this didn't work for me for about 4 days, but I have had friends who have had this work within 24hrs and gone on to deliver naturally! So it is different for everyone. But by the end of the 4 days and lots of membrane sweeps I had dilated to 3cm which was enough to be taken down stairs onto labour ward to have my waters broken. I went down at 8pm on the sat and then I had my waters broken and placed onto a drip to get my contractions going. I was offered gas and air, morphine and an epidural. I had all three lol, I'm not great with pain! But due to being induced and it being very controlled I had enough time for any medication I wanted. So this is a good thing. By 4am I had epidural and slept for a couple of hours but the only down side is you can't get out of bed or eat anything. But I didn't want to by then anyway. By 9am I was 10cm and weaned off the epidural enough to feel contractions to push, I pushed for an hour but I was exhausted from my long stay in hosp and long night before so I ended up being offered help by the use of forceps. My LO was born at 10.26am and was 9lb 9oz. I was stitched up and required to stay in hosp for 24hrs to make sure I was ok going to the toilet etc. but jessops handled everything so well for me I'm doing it again In a couple of weeks lol.the epidural also gave me severe back problems for a year afterwards too so I understand your fear there as i don't want one either but I'm just going in open minded and will do whatever I need at the time. But please don't worry yourself about being induced I actually had a lovely labour and would do the same again. I'm worrying about natural labour myself ha ha

Your pain does go from 0-60 and it does hurt but it's also a process where they kind of know what's going to happen so can offer you help when they think you may need it. I had an assisted delivery and two of my friends have been induced this last week actually and they have both gone on to deliver naturally.

I hope my rambling on has helped you a little bit but I'm sure you will be induced and deliver naturally inducing is only really to get your labour going. I would make clear anything you don't want to happen in your notes and tell the midwife about your fears so she can help you ease them after all they do this enough to know what you will be going rough and I had similar fear to you when I originally went in for my 1st baby who is just two now. But I did not under any circumstances at that point want an epi, but the pain does sway you slightly lol. Good luck xxxxxxxx

I won't tell you what happened to me but just go with the flow. The staff are there to make sure you and the baby are alright and each birth is completely different. You may whizz through it with no problems, you may find it hard. You won't know until you're doing it but don't scare yourself or worry too much. Hypnobirthing is a great idea - anything to help focus the mind will help and give you positive thoughts!

And a C Section isn't so bad!!

Hi LJB23 and Strix,

I was told by the consultant that a C-Section is more likely with an inducement, not that it will definitely happen or that I will have to have one. Just that it is more likely than with a normal labour.

I was planning on using a Tens machine and birthing ball to help with pain. And possibly gas and air but this was before I found out about the inducement. So I don't know if they will help that much if the contractions are strong. Or even if I would be able to use them?

Due to my experiences with pain I think I have a fairly high pain threshold, however I do worry that the pain will be bad enough for me to need the epidural but because of my fear I just won't be able to go through with it.

I was given a hypno-birthing CD by my Mother-in-Law but it was straight after I had found out about the anti-bodies. Part of the CD tells you to imagine your baby, which for me at the time made me very upset because I kept thinking he or she might be ill. So I didn't listen to it again. However, my MIL does do hypno-therapy so maybe I could ask her to hypnotise me.

well you're supposed to use a birthing ball in the weeks running up to the birth to help with stretching, so there's no reason you can't do that anyway, is there?

What happens if you naturally go into labour before induction? Can you look into things like raspberry leaf tea?

dispel the 'might be ill', and replace it with positive images of your new baby. You'll need to do that anyway! How about concentrating on the feeling of love for her? That should come without conditions :)

I'm trying not to worry too much and just go with the flow, but I am natural born worrier so it's easier said than done.

I think I just worry a bit as no one seems to one to talk about what might happen. It's only recently the consultant told me the possibility of the induction. Plus I found the anti-natal classes I little pointless for someone in my shoes. I think I am just feeling a little left out in the cold by it all.

I been using the birthing ball to exercise on but I read somewhere that bouncing on the ball during labour can help with the contractions.

My mum mentioned what happens if you naturally go into birth (she had me two weeks early) but he never mentioned that and I didn't think to ask.

Edited by Love2print
typo

oh the anti natal classes were pants full stop - it's not just your circumstances ;)

Get yourself a book on CBT and begin to learn not to worry. I know where you're coming from though. I'm a control freak who needs to plan for the worst, but sometimes it can work out to be really unhelpful - like when you've got a child to 'worry about' ;)

Well three couples left before the afternoon session. Don't know about the Sunday, didn't go because of the snow.

My husband tells me not to worry, he's an eternal optimist. I think I will need to start taking on his attitude. I will probably drive myself nuts otherwise!