Smoke alarm fitted

" ...a local fire authority is a supervisory body which ensures that a local fire service performs efficiently and in the best interest of the public and community it serves. It means therefore that the fire service is answerable for its actions and performance to the general public. One of its main functions is to collect funding from each local council via a precept - a portion of council tax allocated to the FRS..."

You can only spend council money once.

550 sheffield council jobs going

There isn't enough money to fund a number of other services provided by the council, but there is money to send firemen around to hand out free smoke detectors and screw them to the ceiling for you.

Every house should have at least one smoke detector. If you want the state to provide and fit smoke detectors they will not do something else.

I never said I was a council tenant. I own my own home and pay full rate council tax, a portion of which goes towards SYF services.

I didn't ASK them to come round and fit them for me and I'm quite capable of fitting them myself, but they offered and I accepted.

I should also point out that I live within walking distance of Stocksbridge Fire Station so it's not like they wasted loads of time and money to get to my house! :hihi: