Smoke alarm fitted

Hi i was wondering how i can get my smoke alarm's fitted. I have just moved into a house that does not have any.

Contact your local Fire Station (DON'T ring 999, the number will be on http://www.syfire.org.uk) who will come out and fit smoke alarms on all levels of your house for free.

Contact your local Fire Station (DON'T ring 999, the number will be on http://www.syfire.org.uk) who will come out and fit smoke alarms on all levels of your house for free.

Thank you for that

Yes, they will come out and fit smoke alarms: http://www.syfire.gov.uk/Safeathome.asp

For free.

I would never have believed that if I hadn't read it , the do it free :o, although they just do the batterty ones, aren't they suppose to be hard wired also ? with battery back-up

Seems if you need anything free just ask Rich, he knows.

Edited by poppins

Thanks for that, Classic Rock - It looks as if they will provide them free, as well.

The company which insures my house says: "You must fit smoke detectors." I can either fit them myself or pay somebody to fit them.

Go for it Princess! (You might be able to take the ones you've got back to the shop, too.) If you've already paid for the service (and if you haven't, you will probably pay through your council tax) you might as well make use of it.

I would never have believed that if I hadn't read it , the do it free :o, although they just do the batterty ones, aren't they suppose to be hard wired also ? with battery back-up

TANSTAAFL. You can either pay yourself (as in the US and in Germany) or pay the government to do it for you (as in the UK.) The more the state does for you, the more you pay in taxes.

I wonder how many homes there are in the UK which do not have smoke detectors? - Yet they are entitled to have them (at no cost.)

I had a call from Stocksbridge Fire Dept not long after moving in to my house (I was out at the time and thought they were calling to tell me my house had burnt down :o ) but they'd got my details from the local estate agents and were calling to see if I needed smoke alarms fitting free of charge.

I said yes please and they were there within 2 hours and fitted me 3 alarms. Plus when the batteries run out I can just call them and they replace them for free!

I had no idea the service existed either but I've told all my friends and relatives and encouraged them to do the same. :)

I had a call from Stocksbridge Fire Dept not long after moving in to my house (I was out at the time and thought they were calling to tell me my house had burnt down :o ) but they'd got my details from the local estate agents and were calling to see if I needed smoke alarms fitting free of charge.

I said yes please and they were there within 2 hours and fitted me 3 alarms. Plus when the batteries run out I can just call them and they replace them for free!

I had no idea the service existed either but I've told all my friends and relatives and encouraged them to do the same. :)

I wonder if it's the tax payers that pay for this service, we wouldn't get that in the US, few years back you could call the Fire Dept if you had a lock out, say you locked yourself out of your car/house, they would open for, you, no more as it was cutting into the lock smiths business.

Well I pay enough bloomin' council tax so for once it's nice to get a little something extra back! :)

Well I pay enough bloomin' council tax so for once it's nice to get a little something extra back! :)

Oh! I see now it's just free for council tenants, then it should be.

Oh! I see now it's just free for council tenants, then it should be.

No, it's free for everybody... http://www.syfire.org.uk