Just visited Scarborough- what a dump!

I think that I will visit this Summer - see for my own eyes then I can decide. What's one mans' garbage is another mans' treasure and vice versa. It's all relative anyway - and it's easy to look back with rose-tinted glasses and think that when you were little things were much better than they actually were.

On the other hand, it's never quite the same to revisit a place that you had fond memories of....

Last time I was in Scarborough there were loads of 65 year olds going on 12 sat astride noisy motor bikes. In 1969 or thereabouts I parachuted into Scarborough bay. I was permanent Staff at a TA unit in London and we did our fortnights camp in the Army camp on the north side of town. Nice town then.

If you buy a ROLLS ROYCE you pay for what you get , if you buy a 15 year old banger you ,pay for what you get ,the when you go to the east coast enjoy the day out make the most it.

My mum lives there, it's a nice place. I go about 5-6 times a year and while I don't know about the hotels the place itself is miles ahead of Skegness, cleethorpes and ingomells.

I find Scarborough becomes a town in the winter and a tourist destination in the summer, unlike the other coastal towns that just die in the winter. There is some fantastic walks just to the north near burniston, on the old railway to Whitby.

You cannot move in ingomells for arcades and stalls selling crap you don't want or need, but end up buying anyway.

As for the beggars and drunks, does every town and city across England have these. Scarborough is a Yorkshire gem, in my opinion the best Coastal town along with whitby in the north, both have kept their original charm and not chased the latest craze like skegness, ingomells ect ect.

Scarborough is now the poor relation of the east yorkshire coast resorts, with the possible exception of Withernsea! I was there last April, boarded up shops and pubs. a sad, run down main street populated by street drinkers and beggars! The only business prospering is Wetherspoons, Brighthouse and Cash Converters, even the sea front looks tatty with its cheap shops and general scruffy appearance!

I have a static caravan in Withernsea and love the place because it's quiet ,peaceful,has little crime one of cleanest beaches in England, that has won awards for yearsThe reason most of the shops were closed is because due to weater on East Coast, we only have a short season, The people ,being Yorkshire folk, are are friendly and kind. There is a recession on and all the East coast resorts are suffering, also more folks go abroad for holidays.As for beggars I have yet to see one and have been here 4yrs now.Have not seen Witherspoons , Cash Converters or Brighthouse, there are amusment arcades,and some good shops, a good market,Aldi,

I'm sorry to hear that. Have such happy memories of Scarborough and other places on the east coast. Was thinking of bringing my grandson to England to see where his gran spent time as a child. Mabe somebody has a few suggestions, especially a nice place to stay in Sheffield too.

Last time i went a bloke was smacking his wife on the sea front,she hit him back and a proper fight started. A policeman came along and hit the bloke with his truncheon then a crocodile came and stole the sausages.

Last time i went a bloke was smacking his wife on the sea front,she hit him back and a proper fight started. A policeman came along and hit the bloke with his truncheon then a crocodile came and stole the sausages.

:hihi::hihi::hihi:...classic !

Sunshine on a rainy day.Thanks.:hihi::hihi:

If you go to Whitby, try the Goth Weekend, it is the most fantastic weekend. We are not Goths but we have been three times the atmosphere is brilliant, the costumes worn by both men and women are absolutely stunning and all the pubs and shops are decked out accordingly.

There is also the Regatta Weekend which is great as well, makes a lovely weekend away or even a day out.

Hi Curriechick

Do you know when the goth weekend is this year ?.

Remember Scarborough with nostalgia from childhood. Visited last week while staying in North Yorkshire. What a depressing dump it is now!

YEAH! i FELT THE SAME ABOUT PAGE HALL... IT WANTS NUKING.

I went last year, and I thought it was great! Nice chips on the front, lovely buildings and views, no bother at night. Maybe I'm easily pleased.

:)