Just visited Scarborough- what a dump!

Remember Scarborough with nostalgia from childhood. Visited last week while staying in North Yorkshire. What a depressing dump it is now!

Some places haven’t changed have they, last summer we went to Skeggy ………. I bet we weren’t there 2 hours, we had seen enough :gag:

Scarborough is now the poor relation of the east yorkshire coast resorts, with the possible exception of Withernsea! I was there last April, boarded up shops and pubs. a sad, run down main street populated by street drinkers and beggars! The only business prospering is Wetherspoons, Brighthouse and Cash Converters, even the sea front looks tatty with its cheap shops and general scruffy appearance!

not been for years,but look north are always bulling it up so was surprised to read it is looking run down

could have been worse visited uk first time in 40 yrs wife always wanted to see Blackpool,now what a cheap tardy dump got out and fast

could have been worse visited uk first time in 40 yrs wife always wanted to see Blackpool,now what a cheap tardy dump got out and fast

Blackpool is the Capital of Bad taste. It is so bad it is good. Not a place to take kids, strip joints. tranny bars etc. All good fun for some, but not for families...:hihi:

Withernsea is beyond description, its slowly vanishing into the sea. Scarboro does stand a chance. It has a lot of history. I reckon it will eventually recover.

still gets all the cash from the council instead of whitby lol

I love Scarborough, it's not too bad compared with Cleethorpes, that place is just the pits and don't get me started on Blackpool.

You went to Scarborough in Jan / Feb,and thought it was a dump, what no shops open, looked run down, I bet the beach was deserted too, and not a Punch & Judy show to be seen.

Edited by Odd-jobs

You went to Scarborough in Jan / Feb,and thought it was a dump, what no shops open, looked run down, I bet the beach was deserted too, and not a Punch & Judy show to be seen.

yeah lol, tourist season doesnt start till about easter so most things generally are closed :P

same round here

It's been a good few years since I last visited Scarborough - quite possibly 1999 was the last time I was there. Curiously enough was thinking of visiting this Summer, taking my little girl to see where Daddy spent his holidays when he was the same age as she is now.

I could wax enthusiastically for hours about my childhood holidays spent at Scarborough - in the mid to late 1960s my father had two weeks Summer holidays and one week out of the two we went by train to Scarborough. We always stayed in the same hotel - the Winster on Albermarle Crescent. Some great memories: the lovely beach, the sea was always cold; the bus ride to the North bay and the Corner Café to Peasholm Park - the naval battles, the boating lake, the little train that ran to Scalby Mills where there was b*gger all to do; the open air theatre in the Park, the open air pool where it was always bloody freezing and you queued for hours to get in; the various cliff lifts that ran up and down; the cricket ground; the castle where it was always windy; the pier & lighthouse; the Corunna boat that sailed out to the bay and back; the boats unloading wood; the funfair and helter skelter under the castle; the Futurist Theater and the Green Lizard Restaurant afterwards; the South bay pool which was salty and glacial; Olivers' Mount with the Mere and the pirate ship Hispanola; the wooden huts on the prom selling fresh prawns & other seafood; etc etc.

In 1999 the place had an air of tiredness which from all accounts appears to have got worse. They pulled down the Corner Café and the pool and built some ghastly holiday apartments. Other landmarks have vanished and the South Pool has been filled in.

So maybe Scarborough could be skipped this Summer - Filey could be an alternative.

Edited by redshadow

Its like most of the seaside places in England the sea front has some nice bits but when you have a look off the beaten track there is nothing but old houses and buildings in a state of decay there's no regular work there.