Will they make this sort of drinks offer illegal one day?

The following is taken from the Going Out section on here.

It's a venue in Sheffield who are advertising one of their events, presumably aiming at young people.

They mention the performing artists but follow it with this...

FREE ENTRY!!!

//// SOYO Live DRINKS OFFERS ////

£1 Shots / £1.50 Amstel Pint

£1.50 Spirit & Mixer

£3.50 Dbl Vodka Red Bull

£6 Desperados Bucket

£6 Cocktail Jugs

£50 Red Bull Vodka Boat

(Bottle of Vodka & 6 Red Bull)

Early Doors Offers 8pm - 10pm

£2 Cocktails / £5 Jugs / £5 House Wine

Lovely. X

And remember as always its FREE ENTRY!!!

What do you think this message conveys?

To me, this says, "come and get drunk - cheaply". It's symptomatic of the "drink culture" that is the bane of this country. "Binge Britain".

Now, you may see nothing wrong with it - it is, after all, "what young people do". But does that make it right?

Is it right to promote an event where the cheap alcohol is awarded star billing like this? Is the event about the performing artists, or the cheap booze?

I have worked for many years in regulated industries where companies and organisations have to take very great care over how they promote their business. They have to make sure they don't "mislead" or create the wrong impression.

Alcohol abuse is a SERIOUS problem in this country. It costs the taxpayer millions because it leads to many other health and social problems.

Maybe, one day, we will see this kind of advertising and promotion made illegal?

What do you think?

I think it advertises value for money and why should it be illegal to advertise it?.

To many places rip people off with extortianate prices and no one complains about that.

Edited by alex3659

I personally think its a parental issue, bring your children up not to be like sheep. It isn't difficult to have a drink without getting legless.

On a matter of individual responsibility, advertising like this is fine. But when you consider the aggregate effect of the drinking culture being inculcated into young adults by the drinks companies at great expense, the tax revenue that is reaped as a result, the flooding of the NHS with alcohol related illnesses and alcohol induced injuries and of course all the interesting ways people end up dead through alcohol, well, it doesn't seem so smart.

My mate works for Trading Standards, you be suprised at what he has come across in the most of these 'Cheap Night Establishments'.

Like I said if its cheap - ask exactly what's in it.

Doncaster had a cheap influx of a spirit, if you can call it that, of Vodka called 'Drop' before christmas - It was toxic as hell, and would have made people seriously Ill when consumed and it was everywhere. Thankfully it was found by TS and destroyed.

My daughter went to uni in Derby and the offer there by a club was 'buy one, get three free'.

It's true!

£50 for a bottle of vodka and you people call it cheap.

How much crack have you been smoking for breakfast?

£3 a bottle is expensive. Then add on the tax to take it to a tenner and it is a complete rip off. (And that's the 'cheapest' stuff you can get in the supermarket).

No wonder people buy duty free.

I used to work behind the bar in a club and we were always told not to sell booze to anyone who was obviously over the limit. Not only would we get a ticking off but if the police caught us then the club could of been in trouble.

I hate seeing people who are badly drunk, swearing, staggering, sometimes obnoxious, loud, uncouth, vomiting and showing to the world that they really should be a bit more careful with their booze intake.

I personally think its a parental issue, bring your children up not to be like sheep. It isn't difficult to have a drink without getting legless.

Yep if people could stick to the same drink for a start then they wouldn't get so drunk either.

Its no wonder why the clubs in Sheffield seem to be getting worse its not about the venue and the people that go anymore its more about who has the cheapest drinks night.

Im 46 and started drinking when i was 16. Pub, mates and weekend it all went together, although i dont drink in pubs i still drink at home and after 30 years quite heavily!! Its become a problem. Knowing what i know now the best thing they could do is to make it like america. Drinking age 21. you can only buy alcohol from a liquor store (which i think are run by the state) even most resteraunts can only sell bottled beer. Theres no alcohol in supermarkets and off licenses dont exist. The kids do well at school and dont hang round street corners drunk and making a nuisance of themselves like they do here!!! At 21 they are mature enough to respect alcohol and dont go to night clubs and binge drink. What a wonderful world it would be!!!

The following is taken from the Going Out section on here.

It's a venue in Sheffield who are advertising one of their events, presumably aiming at young people. They mention the performing artists but follow it with this...

FREE ENTRY!!!

//// SOYO Live DRINKS OFFERS ////

£1 Shots / £1.50 Amstel Pint

£1.50 Spirit & Mixer

£3.50 Dbl Vodka Red Bull

£6 Desperados Bucket

£6 Cocktail Jugs

£50 Red Bull Vodka Boat

(Bottle of Vodka & 6 Red Bull)

Early Doors Offers 8pm - 10pm

£2 Cocktails / £5 Jugs / £5 House Wine

Lovely. X

And remember as always its FREE ENTRY!!!

What do you think this message conveys?

To me, this says, "come and get drunk - cheaply". It's symptomatic of the "drink culture" that is the bane of this country. "Binge Britain".

Now, you may see nothing wrong with it - it is, after all, "what young people do". But does that make it right?

Is it right to promote an event where the cheap alcohol is awarded star billing like this? Is the event about the performing artists, or the cheap booze?

I have worked for many years in regulated industries where companies and organisations have to take very great care over how they promote their business. They have to make sure they don't "mislead" or create the wrong impression.

Alcohol abuse is a SERIOUS problem in this country. It costs the taxpayer millions because it leads to many other health and social problems.

Maybe, one day, we will see this kind of advertising and promotion made illegal? What do you think?

Alcohol is cheaper than that in Supermarkets. Supermarkets advertise their discounts very heavily. Why not vent your anger at them, rather than a random club?

A quick look at their wesbite reveals that at ASDA you can get a standard bottle of vodka (£10) and 6 redbulls (£6) for less than a 1/3 of what that club is offering.

The reason nothing is ever done about minimum pricing is that it would be the supermarkets who would have to raise their prices, pubs and clubs generally charge such a premium anyway and so would be less effected. Politicians don't want to upset the powerful corporations that run supermarkets, so little or nothing is done.

i agree that setting a minimum price for alcohol penalizes responsible drinkers but something really has to be done about the booze culture in Britain.

When I see TV footage of Brits on the p**s abroad I am embarrased by the behaviour of these people.

I couldn't help but feel sorry for the lad who ended up in the middle of a media frenzy fror urinating on the senotaph in town; I appreciate how offensive and upsetting many people found this but ultimately, he was an 18 year old lad, away from home (probably for the first time for any amount of time) and was deliberately encouraged to go out and get paraletic by an organised event promoter. He probably did't have a clue wht he was doing.

It's the idea being purportated that it's cool, fun and acceptable to get dangerously drunk that needs addressing and cheap booze promotions aimed at young people aren't helping