Cold Advice for Old People

Some nitwits on here thought spring had started in early January because it had been very mild thus far:loopy::loopy:

I made that thread; I knew damn well it wasn't Spring yet but I thought it funny that the magpies had been fooled into making nests. (They won't be finding many twigs today! :hihi:)

The British weather is nothing if not unpredictable; this snow is not likely to last above two days, but I'm making no rash statements about what March might or might not do. I've seen snow in August and sunburns in January, and the last year that I can remember getting all the way to February before snow started falling, was 1947. And we got a hell of a lot of it.

On March 21st 1963, the first day of Spring, it was thick with snow. I know this to be a fact because I was in an ambulance on my way to hospital to have my daughter. Nightmare!......

not as many cars on the streets then Joan for people to worry about driving in the white stuff, we were use to the Horse & Carriage transportation then.

I dont mind snow at this time of the year, it is expected.

It is winter after all.

It is when it snows in November and December that it becomes a real hassle.

Snow in daylight can be coped with.

It is when you are trying to get to work, or home, in the dark in a blizzard that it is bad.

In October 1962 it started snowing, settled and was still there without respite in March 1963. It also snowed in places at beginning of June 1976 followed by a heatwave and a drought and there wasn't a spot of rainfall in England from beginning of July until October but I went camping in middle of July to Oban and Fort William and it pi ...persistently rained for 5 solid days:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Oh, for heaven's sake I just meant it gets a bit silly talking about spring starting shortly at this time of year and earlier!!

Sorry if it sounds mardy but I never understand people marvelling at how cold it is in WINTER!! It's like we live in the Mediterrean and anything below say 10C is totally unexpected in winter!!

Oh, for heaven's sake I just meant it gets a bit silly talking about spring starting shortly at this time of year and earlier!!

Sorry if it sounds mardy!

It didn't to me; I wasn't taking offence at your comment, and I didn't mean to imply you were doing anything wrong by making it.

Yes we need to be told how to cope in the cold, I dont think.

We were the ones who were born in the one brick thick houses, where ice formed inside the house.

The outside bogs that froze solid.

On the open buses to school so cold that ice was on the seats even, never mind the windows.

We played in the streets on our sledges every winter.

I dont think it us oldies who need to be told how to behave in the cold, but these youngsters who have never known it.

Youngsters aren't at an increased risk of dying due to the cold, or at least certainly not to the same extent that the elderly are.

Sorry if it sounds mardy but I never understand people marvelling at how cold it is in WINTER!! It's like we live in the Mediterrean and anything below say 10C is totally unexpected in winter!!

In any decent, civilised society we would retire at 55 and be given a villa in the Canary Islands.

But oh no, its jobs for the boys isnt it?

I didn't even get a knighthood this time round, did you?, and there is one going spare!!

Well I don't know how it got in but a fly has just landed on my laptop

As far as im aware isnt it illegal to cut an OAPS gas and electricity off even if they have no money?