Interested in learning to knit but don't know how to start

Hello,

as mentioned above I would like to learn to knit but I have no idea how I would go about learning. I don't know anyone who knits to ask and as I'm a uni student even if I had any living grandmothers I'd be too far away to ask for help (sorry for the stereotype, my granny was the only person I've ever know to knit).

If anyone has any advice to share I'd really appreciate it. By the by I'm a guy. I hope that doesn't make a difference :)

thanks in advance

Darren

why not join one of the knitting groups? I'm sure they'd love to teach you

If you want to look at a few videos about knitting techniques, this site is very useful (hover over 'Free Videos' and you'll see links to sections on casting on, knitting and purling, for example). A YouTube search will also throw up some similar videos.

If you want a book or two, these two were helpful for me way back when: this one and this one.

Ravelry is a goldmine. Don't be put off by the cutesy sign-in page.

A guy? Wanting to knit? How DARE you - this is the preserve of grannies only!!!! Clearly...

If you're on the web anyway, I second Youtube - I've learned a few techniques there. I also used the "Knitting for Dummies" book. You could try your local library for knitting books.

Or get yourself down to The Wool Baa and speak to Jill!

Hi

We have a new knitting group starting at Heeley City Farm on 16th Feb (there's a thread on here about it) and you're very welcome to come. The young man who will be serving in the cafe will welcome the gender balance being redressed a bit :hihi:

We have more experienced knitters who can help you get started and we'll provide knitting needles and wool for you to practice. But otherwise I'd go with Youtube as others here have suggested - if I get stuck with anything it always delivers :)

I'd echo the you tube advice, and knittinghelp.com, which is where I always go for 'how to' tutorials. I taught myself to knit last year using Knitty Gritty, which I found incredibly easy to follow.

Also the knitting groups. I go to Knitpickers which meet at Bungalow & Bears every first Thursday of the month from 4.30 onwards, and every third Sunday at Varsity (this Sunday) from 3. The city centre locations might suit?

Hello,

as mentioned above I would like to learn to knit but I have no idea how I would go about learning. I don't know anyone who knits to ask and as I'm a uni student even if I had any living grandmothers I'd be too far away to ask for help (sorry for the stereotype, my granny was the only person I've ever know to knit).

If anyone has any advice to share I'd really appreciate it. By the by I'm a guy. I hope that doesn't make a difference :)

thanks in advance

Darren

hi darren did you get sorted out? carolyn. if not il teach you.

Hi, we have a knitting group starting later this month at Learn for Life. If you are interested you can phone 01142559080 or email [email protected]. It will most likely be on Wednesday afternoons from 2:30 - 3:30.

I would too! Ideally something local, and during school hours. Total beginner. Anyone in or near the S10 area who runs day time knitting clubs?

Babooshka, would you be interested in learning to knit for the sheffield cats shelter? I am part of a very small knitting group, we meet on Tuesdays and Fridays 1-3pm at the shelter which is in Broomhall. There is an experienced knitter who taught me from scratch in just a few weeks. We knit things for the shelter to sell, but also obviously knit things for ourselves too. It's a really friendly environment and any level of experience with knitting is fine. As I said, I was a total novice, eg I had never seen a needle and called them sticks :) I have just knitted a rabbit and am starting on other projects.

If your interested then PM me :)

Hi - Running With Scissors runs knitting for beginners workshops and will soon be running 'knitting for improvers' workshops too. Workshops are on Saturdays in south or central Sheffield. Lots more information is on our website at http://www.rwssheffield.co.uk - thanks Emma :)