Works on Woodseats Road railway bridge MEGATHREAD

http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/south_yorkshire/travel_news/service_updates/?item=16661&conf=1

SHEFFIELD Woodseats Road closure, services 75/76/701 *revised diversion routes*

Due to ongoing work to replace Woodseats Road Bridge, services are diverted as follows:

Service 75: Operates as normal from Batemoor to Woodseats then via Chesterfield Road, London Road and as normal. Return by reverse of this route.

Service 76: Operates as normal from Low Edges to Bocking Lane then via Hutcliffe Wood Road, Archer Road, Abbeydale Road and as normal. Return by reverse of this route.

Service 701: As normal to Meadowhead then via Abbey lane, Hutcliffe Wood Road, Archer Road, Abbeydale Road and as normal. Return by reverse of this route.

Woodseats shopping area and Chesterfield Road are not currently being served.

First seem to contradicting themselves there.....the 75 IS serving Woodseats but NOT Woodseats Road and the 76 is NOT serving Woodseats.

Takes me right back to the early 90s when that bailey bridge was setup. Buses, cars and lorries sat outside waiting to cross from around 5am revving their engines, blaring out their music, etc. Moved into the back bedroom in the end to get some piece and quiet. The amount of dust/soot in the front rooms was incredible. Still happy days in other ways.

Finally they have seen sense with the buses

Is it Network Rail that are paying for the bridge? I understood that the reason it took so long to fix in the first place was due to who was going to pay for it.

Also, can SCC charge?

Also, it's not as simple as Network Rail just saying they are going to close the track. TOC's and FOC's pay for using the railway network. Maybe you can bus passengers , but freight isn't so easy.

The bridge belongs to the railway, it is nothing to do with Sheffield Council apart from the road access across the top. The reason the bridge has fallen into a dangerous state is because of the low priority railtrack then network rail put on its maintenance.

Then the reason it has taken so long for the work to commence is because network rail did not need to restrict it's own operations below the bridge (as it was not a fast section of line in the slow down to Sheffield midland station) and therefore down the list of priority for their own corrective engineering work.

How much of Woodseats Road is closed? I have friends that live on one of the side streets off there and just wondering how best to get to theirs by car if it's the whole road - if I wasn't coming over the bridge, I would normally go round the back past Centenary Works, the Post Office depot etc and then onto Woodseats Road and then to their street - is that still viable, or will I need to go via Chesterfield Road?

How much of Woodseats Road is closed? I have friends that live on one of the side streets off there and just wondering how best to get to theirs by car if it's the whole road - if I wasn't coming over the bridge, I would normally go round the back past Centenary Works, the Post Office depot etc and then onto Woodseats Road and then to their street - is that still viable, or will I need to go via Chesterfield Road?

It's entirely open, only the bridge is closed. So your route via Little London Road is fine; except that lots of other people are also taking this diversion so it's a lot busier than normal, and at peak time the queues around the Broadfield junction are shocking.

Thanks - am unlikely to need to go there at peak times, thankfully.

Then the reason it has taken so long for the work to commence is because network rail did not need to restrict it's own operations below the bridge (as it was not a fast section of line in the slow down to Sheffield midland station) and therefore down the list of priority for their own corrective engineering work.

Can you clarify what you mean by this?

Not a fast section of line? It's 80 mph one way and 90mph the other. I may be misinterpreting you.

The remaining part of the new road deck is now in... work was done overnight last night I suspect (lots of trains sounding their horns before passing through the works area) although there's still some work to do still before there's a usable road surface.

At a guess the road could re-open this coming week or sometime after next weekend - they may well need another overnight let next weekend to do the backfilling and surfacing.

Edited by bluearcus
clarification