Chris Huhne speeding charges/resignation etc

Should never have been sent to prison will cost the tax payers a small fortune while the live in comfort , They had done no harm to anyone but had broken the law , so why not make them pay all the court costs (must be in the thousands) and save us tax payers paying for there crime and give them some community work as a punishment

Court costs are £100,000+ (which I think also raises issues about the extortionate amounts spent on the legal system...) which in this case are supposedly going to have to be paid by Huhne and Pryce.

I would much rather have seen a few more politicians go to jail for fraudulant expenses claims which in my opinion was a far more scandalous abuse of power and has never been properly punished.

Should never have been sent to prison will cost the tax payers a small fortune while the live in comfort , They had done no harm to anyone but had broken the law , so why not make them pay all the court costs (must be in the thousands) and save us tax payers paying for there crime and give them some community work as a punishment

a substantial fine on top of the costs would not have been unreasonable - although i suspect a fine to a millionaire is less of a deterrent/punishment than a prison sentence

Court costs are £100,000+ (which I think also raises issues about the extortionate amounts spent on the legal system...) which in this case are supposedly going to have to be paid by Huhne and Pryce.

I would much rather have seen a few more politicians go to jail for fraudulant expenses claims which in my opinion was a far more scandalous abuse of power and has never been properly punished.

According to the DM his barrister charges £20K PER DAY.

According to the DM his barrister charges £20K PER DAY.

How did that happen? Whenever a court case is mentioned on TV the costs run into several millions, (often tax payers money,) but no one seems to question it.

I think next to bankers, these parasites need investigating, and new guidelines need drawing up. It'll never happen of course. These people protect their own.

There's no doubt ordinary law is outside the pockets of most people.

The man spent 10 years lying through his teeth, seeking to have the case thrown out. She lied in court, and in spite of knowing she was guilty, contested the case. I think they got off lightly, 25% of the term in prison, and the remainder served out under home curfew - there are people in prison for longer for less.

Prisons should be for people that pose a danger to the population. This pair should be serving the community, litter picking, scraping chewing gum and dog crap off the pavements for several months, whilst wearing a brightly coloured community payback vest.

Its the correct sentence IMO. He went away because he made a silly mistake, she went away because she is a vindictive, bile filled women who deserves what she got.

---------- Post added 12-03-2013 at 15:51 ----------

Prisons should be for people that pose a danger to the population. This pair should be serving the community, litter picking, scraping chewing gum and dog crap off the pavements for several months, whilst wearing a brightly coloured community payback vest.

that would be a change to our legal system. Prison is for punishment and rehabilitation.

That would be a change to our legal system. Prison is for punishment and rehabilitation.

Yes it would be an improvement to our current system, I have no idea how locking someone up rehabilitates them, and giving some one free room and board isn’t much of a punishment.

Prison will be his first chance to talk to working class people. He might learn something.

I agree. ...

Its the correct sentence IMO. He went away because he made a silly mistake

He lied and tried to have the case thrown out of court, when he knew damn well he was guilty. That's not a silly mistake, that's a total disregard for the rule of law.

When I break the law, and I'm caught doing it, I take full responsibility for my actions and accept the penalty without complaint.

I am a better man than him. His hubris was astounding.

He should have been sent down for longer pour encourager les autres.

Its the correct sentence IMO. He went away because he made a silly mistake, she went away because she is a vindictive, bile filled women who deserves what she got.

---------- Post added 12-03-2013 at 15:51 ----------

that would be a change to our legal system. Prison is for punishment and rehabilitation.

Re bib. No, she went to prison for exactly the same reason he did - conspiracy...

They were both caught "because she she is a vindictive, bile filled woman".