Santander, the missing details and now solicitors

Im looking for a bit of advice.

I was with PayPal bank credit card and they switched to santandare over a year ago. My bank account with them was not upgraded in anyway, no information was sent to me, no account number etc.... I ordered a replacement card as the old one expired and it never turned up, that was over a year ago and I rang at least 10 times.

So unhappy with the service I asked for a total ballence and applied for a natwest card and did a 100% transfer.

Still no contact from santandare in any way shape or form.

Anyways today I received a letter from a solicitor saying I owe santandare £260 ?

What steps can I take here, ring santandare with a 15 month out of date credit card from another company, ring the ombudsman and tell the same story as I've put here or just pay up ?

I'd talk to the ombudsman if I were you. If they agree that there has been something go amiss then they will represent you in your dispute with Santander, which is likely to make someone in their complaints department pay attention.

if you have household insurance, you most likely have access to a free legal advice line - make use of it :thumbsup:

the worst they can do is take you to court for the money you don't owe them, and for that amount of money it'll be the small claims court, so you could just send them a 'see you in court' letter, listing a timeline of events and payments/transfers...

... or ring Santander's fraud department, as this clearly can't be a letter from them, and somebody is trying to extort money from you

Im looking for a bit of advice.

I was with PayPal bank credit card and they switched to santandare over a year ago. My bank account with them was not upgraded in anyway, no information was sent to me, no account number etc.... I ordered a replacement card as the old one expired and it never turned up, that was over a year ago and I rang at least 10 times.

So unhappy with the service I asked for a total ballence and applied for a natwest card and did a 100% transfer.

Still no contact from santandare in any way shape or form.

Anyways today I received a letter from a solicitor saying I owe santandare £260 ?

What steps can I take here, ring santandare with a 15 month out of date credit card from another company, ring the ombudsman and tell the same story as I've put here or just pay up ?

Didn't you recieve any statements from them in the past year?

Sorted , case dropped.

Rang santander who had my old address and had been sending letter to there even after being told my new one around 2 years ago. They had the information on the computer I had requested a change of address but ne'er changed it, this was when they used Indian call centres.

Ccj has been canceled and balance wiped.

Sorted , case dropped.

Rang santander who had my old address and had been sending letter to there even after being told my new one around 2 years ago. They had the information on the computer I had requested a change of address but ne'er changed it, this was when they used Indian call centres.

Ccj has been canceled and balance wiped.

That's good news.. :thumbsup:

PLease just make sure the CCJ details are updated, it usually can takeup to six weeks, it's just in case a couple of years down the line you require credit and it's refused as teh CCJ wasn't actually updated.

Sorry to stick my nose in but it happens quite a lot

Dee

balance wiped? I have never heard of a bank doing this even when they know they are doing wrong and it being Santander, I'm even more shocked as they are pure evil. be aware they recently doubled their arranged overdraft fees across the board, and they make dam sure they take money from your account before crediting anything so they can charge you. I once was moving money between accounts. I was on the account with the money and selected the transfer option, it automatically switched back to the other account and so when I tried to transfer the money I was doing it in reverse to what I wanted. There was no message about not having the funds, it just slapped a £25 fine on my account! When I told the bank they told me to go forth and multiply.

I wouldn't **** on a santander bank if it was on fire!

Glad to hear that the bank have finally listening enough to understand your issues and tried to sort them out.

Can I also suggest that you get a copy of your credit file from Experian and Equifax in a few weeks, just to check that none of this has been reported in your credit history as a black mark that you could find a problem later on?

If it has then the bank can sort that out for you, but only if you know about it in the first place.

Yeah what they said had happened was this.

I asked for final balance to clear it to go my current natwest card, I got it and transferred the lot.

The period between transfer to one to the other had generated a tiny bit if interest, £20.

So that £20 over the period had gained interst to the sum of £104 which then went to court and then fine enforcement to the sum of £264.

The bank removed interest charges and court fees if I paid them the initial £20 back.

They also told me to ring back on a direct line to the card department and they will do the credit report bit in around 3 weeks time. They have now finally closed my account after 2 years of asking them.

I also have all the court details with case numbers so I can follow up there too.

Yeah what they said had happened was this.

I asked for final balance to clear it to go my current natwest card, I got it and transferred the lot.

The period between transfer to one to the other had generated a tiny bit if interest, £20.

So that £20 over the period had gained interst to the sum of £104 which then went to court and then fine enforcement to the sum of £264.

The bank removed interest charges and court fees if I paid them the initial £20 back.

They also told me to ring back on a direct line to the card department and they will do the credit report bit in around 3 weeks time. They have now finally closed my account after 2 years of asking them.

I also have all the court details with case numbers so I can follow up there too.

great news, good to hear you sorted it

I have it on very good authority that just leaving the bank to do the credit report thing could potentially be a very bad plan. Unless they have sent the messages to the credit rating agencies in your presence then you need to check that they have done it in a few weeks as things which are planned for the future just often don't get done.

I know it's a bit belt and braces, but a quick check covers your backside and gives you the opportunity to challenge the bank if they have not cleared your credit record as they said they would.