Ofsted inspection at Tapton

Darth Vader - was just going back to edit that post - pressed submit too early !

.........was about to add "however I hope that given the time is less it is spent on the most constructive areas of PHSE rather than on some of the issues that ought to possibly fall more to parents (eg finance) "

No problem, pottedplant. Unfortunately, not enough parents do pass on this essential stuff to their kids and if schools don't, then doing well at school pales in to insignificance when you're pregnant at 14, suffer from a drug-related overdose, or get in to a car with the wrong person.:( As for finance, sadly, there are parents who think Brighthouse are doing their family a favour, and don't know what APR means, so who are not in a position to really pass on these skills themselves.:(

I heard of cinema trips happening for the not so regimented students from a school in the Nottinghamshire area

I know a number of schools which do this, or bowling, for the troubled students as a reward for not kicking off for a week.

Meanwhile the gifted and talented and hard workers get very little, other than a guaranteed place on the school trip - which usually costs several hundred pounds. My daugher's school is doing a ski trip to France for ten days, the cost is £1200.

No problem, pottedplant. Unfortunately, not enough parents do pass on this essential stuff to their kids and if schools don't, then doing well at school pales in to insignificance when you're pregnant at 14, suffer from a drug-related overdose, or get in to a car with the wrong person.:( As for finance, sadly, there are parents who think Brighthouse are doing their family a favour, and don't know what APR means, so who are not in a position to really pass on these skills themselves.:(

I know - the lives that some poor kids lead is just very very sad.

But the changes to PHSE when set against the context to all the other changes that are being (necessarily because of the enforced Govt changes) introduced, and were being discussed last night, led me to my original comment that I am all for PHSE but I don't think (hope ) that the changes to it will be of major significance.

Edited by pottedplant

I'd rather young people were best placed to make 'informed' decisions on these matters though.

I think good parenting covers a lot of that.

the school sprucing things up for an inspection is no different to one of us going for an interview in a suit and tie we don't wear every day, speaking propa Inglish and responding with phrases like "yes sir, I'm goal driven and always seeking a challenge". It's crock, playing the game, but it doesn't mean we've got something to hide, a hidden agenda or portraying a false personality.

Sprucing the school up sends out the signal to an inspector that you show him and the inspection utmost respect and that you are "up for it". The inspector, like a driving examiner knows how to read what is real and what is over emphasised.

my tuppence anyway

I think you've summed it up perfectly.

PSHE is currently 1 hour per week and as was said last night is sometimes kicked into touch for other things. It's not such a huge difference in time to have 5 full days instead. I do think you're painting an extremely bleak pciture there and I wouldn't want any more time to be devoted to PSHE at the expense of other things as I think the vast majority of children go through their teenage years without experiencing any of that stuff.

Yes, that is pretty much what I typed

It was but I have made it clearer.Thanks for alerting me that an alter ego is a genuine naturist.If I had realised that you were a member I wold habve been a bit less critical of your insights.

Not really completely. The thing is, every child is different, and each class in the world will work in different ways to accommodate students with different difficulties. These 'inclusion methods' may not be the sort of thing a stranger would understand as beneficial upon entering a classroom but they may be the best way of working with that student.

For example, I once knew of a school that had a particularly bad class of low achievers who were basically going no where in life. They point blank refused to do any work whatsoever. A teacher set up Counter Strike (a video game) on the network and for every 40 minutes of work the students did, they got 10 minutes of LAN gaming. I've never seen a group of low achieving, disenfranchised students work so well. Even the girls in the class were obsessed with Counter Strike. This worked for these kids but if Ofsted has walked in for the last 10 minutes they would have probably been quite bemused and certainly wouldn't have accepted it as a method.

You are a real gossip and distributor of hearsay-I heard this ,I heard that.I think you are possibly over-inquisitive and have an unhealthy interest in these matters

The lapses which staff usually rush to do are lesson plans and keeping their diaries and planners up to date.

Ah, I see. You are suggesting that staff do not complete an OFSTED standard form for every lesson they teach but they will do this when OFSTED come in - am I correct? If so, do you think it would be a good use of a teacher's time to do this? Could it be possible that a teacher would more sensible if they chose to mark a few tests or, maybe, prepare a new powerpoint presentation rather than fill in a form for a lesson they've taught ten or more times before?

There's also a round of health and safety checks - those dodgy extensions plugged into extensions are usually hidden.

Is this just a specific example you have observed or do you think it is prevalent in all schools? If so, why do you think that is? Are you suggesting, perhaps, that schools will flout safety regulations as a matter of course, regardless of the alternatives? Do you think it would be a good idea that, if they did have a "dodgy extension" for whatever reason, that they should leave it for OFSTED to see? Would it be possible that the inspector seeing a "dodgy extension" might result in a series of events which led to the unsuitable situation which caused the need for the dodgy extension in the first place being resolved?

Just wondering....

Ah' date=' I see. You are suggesting that staff do not complete an OFSTED standard form for every lesson they teach but they will do this when OFSTED come in - am I correct? If so, do you think it would be a good use of a teacher's time to do this? [/quote']

That's right. If they're doing it for OFSTED - and complete and backdate any old ones - but don't do it the rest of the time then why don't the unions do anything about it if it's wrong and a waste of time?

Is this just a specific example you have observed or do you think it is prevalent in all schools? If so, why do you think that is? Are you suggesting, perhaps, that schools will flout safety regulations as a matter of course, regardless of the alternatives? Do you think it would be a good idea that, if they did have a "dodgy extension" for whatever reason, that they should leave it for OFSTED to see? Would it be possible that the inspector seeing a "dodgy extension" might result in a series of events which led to the unsuitable situation which caused the need for the dodgy extension in the first place being resolved?

Just wondering....

If you want my honest opinion - laziness.

And just in case you're questioning my credentials, I've worked in education for about twelve years and have been in four schools in that time, and worked closely with another five. I've also been a teacher and been through three OFSTEDS. I've seen fellow teacher flap and worry where I have been calm because I know my paperwork has been up to date. Yes, it can be nerve wracking to know you're being inspected - it's like having a driving test.

You are a real gossip and distributor of hearsay-I heard this ,I heard that.I think you are possibly over-inquisitive and have an unhealthy interest in these matters

The story I told about the Counterstrike kids I was actively involved in. You just assumed that the sentence "I know of" automatically meant I had overheard it. It doesn't. It simply implies that something is known. Therefore none of it is hearsay and in none of the post you quoted did I say "I've heard this" or "I've heard that"

I don't have an unhealthy interest in these matters. I am paid to have an interest in these matters.

Back to your nudist colony

Edited by BarryRiley