Ofsted inspection at Tapton

I'd suggest that the OFSTED inspectors spend some time around Crosspool shops every morning, lunchtime and chucking-out time to get a real picture of Tapton kids...

Don't you mean the kids who live in the surrounding area and go to Tapton? There is a difference.

You should see the coaches turn up at my local school to take the naughty kids out on inspection day. I'm not sure what the inspectors say when the school is half empty.

So you know for a fact that coaches turn up to take naughty kids out on inspection day? This must happen quite frequently for you to notice it. How many inspections does your local school have in a year, pray tell?

but when you are the only outstanding teacher at the school and the school dont like it, its quite easy to force a good teacher out

I don't understand this sentence.

The teaching profession is notorious for it being almost impossible to get fired through incompetence.

but when you are the only outstanding teacher at the school and the school dont like it, its quite easy to force a good teacher out

I don't understand this sentence.

What i was saying is that while it is almost impossible to get fired through incompetence i have personal experience of a friend who, when inspected by Ofsted at the school she was it, was graded Outstanding. She was the only teacher to achieve this in their observation. The school already had it in for her but this appeared to intensify the dislike and she was eventually forced out.

Guest sibon
No, they have access to results but not linked to individual teachers. They look at whole school results and then observe individual lessons.

They have access to a wealth of information, including the school's self evaluation. In essence an inspection really only checks whether the school's self evaluation is accurate or not.

Any inspector worth their salt would immediately dig into the teaching record of absent teachers, including internal lesson observation data and exam results, if they suspected that they were being misled. I don't know whether you've met many inspectors, but they are generally pretty perceptive people.

I've been through quite a few inspections. I've never known staff to be off during the inspections, certainly not without good reason. I have seen a number of difficult students excluded for the inspection period though.

The teaching profession is notorious for it being almost impossible to get fired through incompetence.

It isn't as easy as it should be, I agree. Don't forget that schools are constantly judged by their exam performance. Any head worth their salt wouldn't accept poor performance to affect that. Have you met Mr Bowes? I can't imagine that he tolerates incompetence.

I do find this conversation with your children very hard to believe.

Do you - why?

I could, but won't, name the teachers - so how else would I know that?

How did you notice the clamp down on uniform?

And presumably you've had reason to go inside the school to see these new posters?

Doh..........because my children talk to me ! Why the suspicion?

But just to ease your mind I will count said posters tonight - and compare to the last time I did a survey of them.

Schools also only get two days notice of an inspection so unless all these changes have only happened in the last couple of days it is unlikely they were only for the inspectors benefit.

No it was to raise standards generally I am sure.

To be fair my child's skirt is a little short (when rolled over at the top - been there did that at 13 too) so kind of glad the teachers have told her that too (but it is the same one she has been wearing since Sept without issue - and she hasn't grown that much LOL).

Its easy for the schools to prepare when the inspectors arrive.

At a Primary School (I won't name) but my 5 year old nephew told me that the staff were putting up various health and safety posters to comply with the inspection, his 4 year old friend made a comment that many of the teachers did come to class far smarter than normal and that his work was being marked in accordance with the standards laid down by the national curriculum.

The 4 year old also commented that he felt the use of supply staff was perhaps a breach of the standards that were set down by national guidelines, which were part of the overall package of measures introduced by New Labour, many of which the conservatives are also adhereing to.

All the 4 and 5 year olds feel that the teachers are raising the standards simply to pass the inspection, and that standards will slip after the inspectors have left.

I hope that the concerns raised by the 4 and 5 year old pupils are taken seriously

Don't you mean the kids who live in the surrounding area and go to Tapton? There is a difference.

There is a difference - but the OP was right.It is kids that go to Tapton that go to the local shops - not necessarily just those who live in the surrounding area.

Guest sibon
Its easy for the schools to prepare when the inspectors arrive.

At a Primary School (I won't name) but my 5 year old nephew told me that the staff were putting up various health and safety posters to comply with the inspection, his 4 year old friend made a comment that many of the teachers did come to class far smarter than normal and that his work was being marked in accordance with the standards laid down by the national curriculum.

The 4 year old also commented that he felt the use of supply staff was perhaps a breach of the standards that were set down by national guidelines, which were part of the overall package of measures introduced by New Labour, many of which the conservatives are also adhereing to.

All the 4 and 5 year olds feel that the teachers are raising the standards simply to pass the inspection, and that standards will slip after the inspectors have left.

I hope that the concerns raised by the 4 and 5 year old pupils are taken seriously

That is going to whoosh right over a few heads.

Quality post though:D

Guest sibon

But just to ease your mind I will count said posters tonight - and compare to the last time I did a survey of them.

To be fair, I tidy up a bit when I'm expecting visitors.

It would be lovely if they were perfect all the time, but Tapton is a pretty good school you know.