George Barnsley, Industrialist

I am descended from the founders of the firm, George Barnsley and Sons and have written a book about them and several members of the Barnsley family. However sometime in the 1950s a portrait of the George Barnsley who was Master Cutler in1883 disappeared from the family probably following a death and the disposal of the estate. This portrait was presented to GB by the work people when he became Master Cutler and was painted by H.F. Crighton who painted several leading Sheffield Industrialists of the time. This picture is not in a Sheffield museums collection and I just wondered if anyone knew of its current whereabouts. We just feel it is a niggling family mystery. One reported to be of the young George turned up in Australia about a year ago and is now in the keeping of an Australian cousin.

Hi Pauline

I am a very good friend of John Barnsley who is a direct descendant of George Barnsley and I will pass your interest in the family to him when he returns from holiday. You may know John or know of him and he may be able to throw some light on the whereabouts of the portrait of George Barnsley.

Regards

Sybrix

Out of interest, what's the book on George Barnsley and Sons called, and has it been published recently?

Book is called Forging History the Story of George Barnsley and Sons, toolmakers. You can get a copy from Colin Barnsley at Woodware repetitions on Mowbray St. or from Amazon.

Book is called Forging History the Story of George Barnsley and Sons, toolmakers. You can get a copy from Colin Barnsley at Woodware repetitions on Mowbray St. or from Amazon.

Just borrowed said book from library, Also lots of stuff of the old G/B factory on 28 days later website very interesting it is.