History of Bands Playing City Hall Anyone?

Not sure , but I do remember seeing them play in the yard behind the old Virgin Records shop at the bottom of The Moor around 1973 I think......anybody else remember ? I think there were only about 15-20 people there.........

I was there! And I've still got my copy of Camembert Electrique that they were giving away free.

I was there! And I've still got my copy of Camembert Electrique that they were giving away free.

I still had my copy until a couple of years ago , but I have been slowly selling my vinyl for the last few years and am now down to the last 100 or so .....good to hear from someone else who was at this pretty exclusive gig Shanesteeth , sure we must have been at quite a few of the same gigs in Sheffield around that time....

Oh no!!! a memory test ..that's tough but here goes

Bands I remember seeing at the City Hall (in between me and Mick wowing the world of course!):

In no particular order but mostly 1970s

Deep Purple

Ted Nugent

Jethro Tull

T Rex

Black Sabbath

Mott the Hoople

Shadows

Sweet

Roy Wood's Wizzard

Wishbone Ash (loads of times)

Stone the Crows

Hawkwind

Thin Lizzy

Status Quo

Rainbow (I think)

Joe Cocker (many times)

Gary Moore

That's all until I can press 'refresh' on the brain

Edited by KeefisGod

Gong played the City Hall around 1973-74 as support group to Hadfield and the North. If like me, you were seriously into Canterbury rock and post Soft Machine variations then this was a great evening, but for others including a couple of my mates this was all too much and they were over the road in the pub well before the end.

I can remember wagging school and standing outside pecks for the led zep tickets £2 pound i think.also i remember a band called Faust ,they brought a road breaker onto the stage started it up and were shut down,end of show but an early visit to the Albert.:loopy:

A schoolfriends mother went and queued for the tickets for us for Led Zeppelin!The concert was rubbish,Robert Plant had laryngitus.The only time I saw Zeppelin and it was a real disapointment!

I remember the Faust gig.They were supported by Henry Cow.We got in through the fire escape and up to the balcony only to find it empty! The attendance was so low everyone had been moved down to the circle.That gave the game away!We managed to sneak downstairs.I remember the road breaker and the concrete block they used it on.I don't remember it ending the show though.

The Albert was our favourite venue for a drink before shows.Do you remember the juke box infront of the fireplace where all the dope was hidden when the bobbies came in?

---------- Post added 13-12-2012 at 18:16 ----------

I still had my copy until a couple of years ago , but I have been slowly selling my vinyl for the last few years and am now down to the last 100 or so .....good to hear from someone else who was at this pretty exclusive gig Shanesteeth , sure we must have been at quite a few of the same gigs in Sheffield around that time....

There's another City Hall thread somewhere with my list of gigs on it.It seems like we were there several times a week at one time.We also used to wag school to hang out round the stage door in the hope of getting hired as "roadies" for the day. Did this for Nazareth (and The Heavy Metal Kids),Mud and (I think) Greenslade.

TurksHead;8534938]while we are on the subject.ted nugent now he did make ure ears bleed

Ha ha remember it well... billed as 'the loudest man in rock' ..he probably had the biggest wall of Marshalls that had been on the stage at that time ...the sound made everybody's hair blow back .. and the ears were in pain for a week after

TurksHead;8534938]while we are on the subject.ted nugent now he did make ure ears bleed

Ha ha remember it well... billed as 'the loudest man in rock' ..he probably had the biggest wall of Marshalls that had been on the stage at that time ...the sound made everybody's hair blow back .. and the ears were in pain for a week after

Did they go up to eleven?

Did they go up to eleven?
I think they were off the scale ... mind you he was rumoured to be deaf in at least one ear.. and I know he was a proper nut job .. gun totin', crossbow shooting , huntin shootin fishin real redneck.. had some US reality show where he went people hunting on his ranch I think.. not your average rock star!

Saw a very young U2 must have been about 77/78 ish you just new this band would last.

AC/DC Back in Black tour brilliant,... went deaf for a week

Smiths were good too

I recollect seeing at the City Hall in the mid 70's

Roxy Music

Uriah Heep

Humble Pie

Rory Gallagher

Mahavishnu Orchestra

Later years

Barry White

Human League

Alice Cooper

Think I saw most of my favourite 70's bands elsewhere

Who - Alex Harvey - chapman, Whitney -Charlton

Stones - Lynryd Skynrd - 10CC - Knebworth

Pink Floyd - Bingley Hall

Led Zeppelin - Earls Court

Bob Dylan - Earls Court

Yes - Manchester Free Trade Hall

The only ones I missed who I wanted to see were ELP and Genesis (Gabriel)

saw black sabbath and van halem gig, nazareth supported by saxon, status quo, might be wrong but dont think rainbow ever played there i had to go to manchester to see them

here is what i remember from the late 70s -80s, its all a bit hazy now.

I once jumped from the circle in the corner (near clocks) to get down the front at a Judas Priest gig...jesus thats a long drop, anyone else do that??

Hawkwind

UFO

Michael Schenker Group

Black Sabbath

Judas Priest

Thin Lizzy - one of my all time gigs

Motorhead - banned for a while after that gig

Manfred Manns Earth Band

Saxon

Whitesnake

Gillan Band

Scorpions