History of Bands Playing City Hall Anyone?

Somewhere I have the flyer for the Hunter / Ronson gig at the City Hall. Guessing late 70s. Great gig.

Also saw Bowie, Slade, Roxy Music, Dr Feelgood, Mink DeVille, John Entwistles Ox, showaddywaddy, Mud, The Bay City Rollers, Gary Glitter, The Glitter Band, Elvis Costello, Fanki Valley and the Four Seasons, The Damned, more recently Gregory Porter, Richard Hawley, Rumer. And there are many more that evade my memory at the moment.

Edited July 9, 2017 by scargill.....

Yes, and around the same time as that lot above, in the 70's, I saw The Sweet, 10cc and Be Bop Deluxe....oh, and Pilot!

I have seen many great bands at the City Hall , but the best show by far was Bill Whyman and the rhythm kings , with Albert Lee on guitar , Georgie Fame on key board and Beverley Skeet on vocals , they can sing owt, play owt and entertain any age group .

On 23/06/2017 at 11:15, charliewag said:

The first gig I ever went to at the city hall was Slade supported by The Alex Harvey Band.

this is the concert when the audience were booing Slade and Wanted Alex back on.

Happy daze - RIP Alex

On 17/01/2020 at 16:56, melthebell said:

Just found this site, theres a list of City Hall gigs here

http://sheffieldmusicarchive.co.uk/sheffield-city-hall/sheffield-city-hall-gigs/

And a BIG THANK YOU from me Melthebell

I started ticking off the bands i'd seen on the list and run out of pencil.

I remember how some of the biggest names at the time couldn't put two notes together on stage, while other bands surprised the hell out of you by sounding just like their records or even better. I didn't pay for a lot of the concerts I went to in the 70's, but that's a different story so although fully intrenched in Rock n Roll and heavy music at the time I saw a lot of bands I wouldn't normally have chosen to see. definitely not my sort of thing at the time Roxy Music, 1st time when Eno was still with them I was so impressed I saw them again and again. I was there at the Eno & the Winkies concert which again was excellent. favourite concerts at that time had got to be Led Zeppelin, Stone the Crows, Alex Harvey, Mott the Hoople, and the Roxy / Eno ones. Anyone who ever saw a Alex Harvey (SAHB) concert would know the sheer power of the guy he put 110% into each concert. RIP Alex.

The list states Elton John concert date of 9/3/73 is a strange one as it is the same date for Kiki Dee? I missed the Elton John part of the concert but certainly saw Kiki Dee (who was excellent by the way) as the support act. Bands I didn't enjoy. any of the Black Sabath concerts, Genesis, Yes, Lou Reed, Slade (not only coz Alez was better) but they were (in my oppinion) terrible.  All in all - HAPPY DAZE - and what a venue.
For years I told people how i'd seen Yes and how (not good) they were, I was delighted years later when I saw an interview with Rick Wakeman (who is excellent by the way) telling the interviewer how rubbish Yes had been.