Hillsborough Boys Club

Well well Geoffusa. I remember you playing football for the club. You weren't a bad player yourself if not up to Harold and co.

I wonder if you guy's remember that if you had a scrape Capt Stan would get the pair of you in the boxing ring for a round or two. That was real disciline.

I never in all the years i went there heard anyone give him any lip. Do you remember his dalmation dog Spangles.

Happy days and yes the subs were sixpence. (2.5p)

I was never put in the ring. However, Capt Royal used to always tell the stories of him on the wing for City. Manchester, I think, although maybe not the first team. Do you remember his Wife, a lovely lady. They used to live at the very top of the building. Unfortunately, I don't remember his dog. I do remember all the under 16 football team travelling to matches in Keith Nicholsons's Carpet van. Good man, Keith who died far too young.

Who else do you remember from the club?

Geoff

Henry Hall coached the boxers. A really quiet guy from wisewood way coached the second team(football). Dennis (happy) Strugles helped with the swimming and always watched the football first team.

I was there from 1959-67ish.

Mrs Royle travelled to manchester each day to work. Capt Stan played app 60 games for Man City as an amatuer (first team he said). Their son was a comedy actor who was on TV a lot.

I remember Henry well. Also his son Dave, who played for Wednesday Juniors.

I replied to Babyboomer regarding Dennis Struggles to see if it was "Happy". She is sending me a photo. Good man Happy, he used to follow us on all the matches and was a right laugh. I didn't realise Capt Royal's son was on TV.

Stan was obviously too busy telling us about his City exploits. Bless him.

I remember Tevor Lemm later. I was connected to Lincoln City at the time and we arranged to use HBC as a Nursery club for us. We nurtured some good players through the ranks. Such as Wayne Biggins, Stuart Hibberd,Phil Turner and more, all went on to play pro at various clubs after we sold them on from Lincoln. We also had a similar set up in Sunderland which produced the likes of Mick Harford and Mick Smith. The former going on to play for England. All from very humble beginnings.

Please PM me if you want to.

Regards

Geoff

I've found some photos, will load them onto photobucket then post some links shortly.

Incidentally we knew my uncle as Uncle Happy, not Uncle Dennis :-) There are a few.

I forgot to mention that my uncle has 2 memorial benches one is at the bradfield side of dam flask and another one is in the walled garden in Hillsborough Park (Dennis Struggles)

Although I don't know many people in the pics they still brought back loads of memories. Thanks for sharing them.

Although I don't know many people in the pics they still brought back loads of memories. Thanks for sharing them.

Thanks a lot for the photos BB.

I recognise some of the players, particularly on the last one. Jack Bramall standing far right. A Centre Half of the old tradition. The guy next to him I think was called Albert and very quick. The guy in the dark top I'm not sure of. He looks like a young Keith Nicholson but would need that confirming.Uncle Happy looks smart as usual

Geoff

Hi CB

Yes Andy was at HBC. He was a very nice lad but grew away from us as he he got more famous. Unfortunately, Johnny Morrisey of Everton didn't read the script and absolutely roasted him on a drenched Hillsborough one night and Andy never really recovered. Harold Wilcockson was a good full back with Doncaster. I think Wednesday swapped him plus cash with my mate ( AND BEST MAN) Ian Branfoot. Ian phoned me a few weeks ago and he is fine. I worked with Ian at Lincoln City before he moved to Southampton. He's had a good career and is a damned good coach.

Back to Harold. His brother Albert, a center forward was a better player, although Harold would never admit that.

Another good HBC player was Keith Godwin ("Sailor" - as he worked for the admiralty) a no nonsense fullback who also played youth football for the Owls.Mick Parsons also took no prisoners. I am sorry to hear about Ted, he seemed indistructable, but alas none of us are.

Regards CB

Geoff

Sorry CB, Harold Wilcockson's brother was Allen not Albert! Pilot error

Henry Hall coached the boxers. A really quiet guy from wisewood way coached the second team(football). Dennis (happy) Strugles helped with the swimming and always watched the football first team.

I was there from 1959-67ish.

Mrs Royle travelled to manchester each day to work. Capt Stan played app 60 games for Man City as an amatuer (first team he said). Their son was a comedy actor who was on TV a lot.

The 4th picture from babyboomer. The guy right at the back in the middle. Was he the guy from Wisewood who managed the 2nd team? I really recognise him but can't remember his name

Geoff

Yes that was the guy who ran the second team. His name was Jack Vessey and we played up on Wadsley Common while the first team played at Owlerton stadium

I have managed to upload the pics, I hope they will bring back fond memories to some of you. Also included are the ones with Mr & Mrs Royale.QUOTE]

Really pleased to see my father in law, Jack Coyle, on one of the photos and also with his wife Gladys on another. Sadly neither of them are with us anymore.