Hillsborough Boys Club

Hi Geoff did not realise you were the Geoff I knew from HBC. From your postings you seem to know more about the club than me. I am a year or so older so I assume you stayed at the club a little longer than I did. After the German trip I more or less finished at the club. The team moved from Wadsley Common down to The Stadium just when I left. I played a few games for Hallam but fluid on the knee put an end to that. Up to a few years ago I often used to bump into Happy, Ted, and Jack Vessey in Hillsborough Precinct. Just before Ted passed away I was looking for my wife Ted approached me. I said I've lost my wife Ted he put his arm round me and said how sorry he was, no Ted I mean she is in one of the shops. His concern was typical of Ted we had a laugh. I thought of going back to Lippstadt perhaps one day I still have some old memorabillia of that trip Regards John

Hi Geoff did not realise you were the Geoff I knew from HBC. From your postings you seem to know more about the club than me. I am a year or so older so I assume you stayed at the club a little longer than I did. After the German trip I more or less finished at the club. The team moved from Wadsley Common down to The Stadium just when I left. I played a few games for Hallam but fluid on the knee put an end to that. Up to a few years ago I often used to bump into Happy, Ted, and Jack Vessey in Hillsborough Precinct. Just before Ted passed away I was looking for my wife Ted approached me. I said I've lost my wife Ted he put his arm round me and said how sorry he was, no Ted I mean she is in one of the shops. His concern was typical of Ted we had a laugh. I thought of going back to Lippstadt perhaps one day I still have some old memorabillia of that trip Regards John

Hi John.

Lippstadt, what good memories. Do you remember Hatmut and the young German guy who drove us around in his Dad's Merc. The tour was typical of the reason the likes of HBC was all about. We made good friends both throughout the UK as well as abroad. Maybe more of that would go down well in this day and age. Going back to Ted Goddard. His stomach crunches while hanging from the wall bars are not missed however!!

Does anyone remember this once famous sporting academy.

Boxing champions, pro footbllers, table tennis champs and the list goes on.

Captain Stanley Royle overseeing every aspect of the place.

What famous names do you remember from days long ago?

Around 1980 i was playing football for Hillsbro Athletic against Hillsbro Celtic.After the match we used the Boys club changing rooms and also had a look round at the facilities.

When i got home i told my younger brother,(who was 8 years old)about the boxing down there.A week or so later an older friend started to take him down for the boxing,(I think the trainer may have been called Ray Gillett)

This was the start of my brothers boxing career,going through the amateurs.Fighting for South-Yorkshire,England,then turning pro.

Area title followed,then Commonwealth,British,European and finally World-title.

Have you guessed yet??

Clinton Woods.

Hi Shane

How good to know that Clinton had some connection with HBC. Can you believe my Daughter is engaged to Richie Wenton The first Super Bantamweight Lonsdale Belt Holder. He has asked to be remembered to Clinton. Thanks again for your interest in HBC it produced top men like Clinton.

Hi Shane

How good to know that Clinton had some connection with HBC. Can you believe my Daughter is engaged to Richie Wenton The first Super Bantamweight Lonsdale Belt Holder. He has asked to be remembered to Clinton. Thanks again for your interest in HBC it produced top men like Clinton.

Will do mate!no problem.

:thumbsup:

Hi John.

I remember playing in a game on Wadsley Common and yes we did move down to Owlerton Stadium. Maybe that was the start of the mollicoddled footballer. I used to flit between Wednesday Juniors and HBC sometimes on the same day would you believe. Capt Royle used to give me stick for doing this but whats a lad supposed to do ? I remember us getting hammered by Club 62 ( or 63) in a cup tie with HBC at the Stadium. We thought we were the bees knees with quite a few of Wednesday lads in our team. They had the likes of Jeff Young who I had had a few run ins with and they really pulled us down a peg or two. Do you remember that John, or was that after your time?

Geoff

Hi Geoff How I remember Wadsley Common I would walk up from Leppings Lane and then play on that dreadfull pitch. Club 62 were a strong side with the likes of Mick Viney and a very old friend of mine Michael Wright a towering centre half and of course became Vice Chaireman of Sheffield Wednesday. Funny you mention Capt. Royal and him complaining about you and Wednesday juniors. I had the chance to play with Wednesday Northern Intermediate side but Capt. Royal assured me he had big ideas for me if I stayed with him at HBC convincing me that I would only get the odd game with Wednesday. I think the cup game with 62 may have been after my time. Good to hear from you Geoff. Regards John

Hi Geoff How I remember Wadsley Common I would walk up from Leppings Lane and then play on that dreadfull pitch. Club 62 were a strong side with the likes of Mick Viney and a very old friend of mine Michael Wright a towering centre half and of course became Vice Chaireman of Sheffield Wednesday. Funny you mention Capt. Royal and him complaining about you and Wednesday juniors. I had the chance to play with Wednesday Northern Intermediate side but Capt. Royal assured me he had big ideas for me if I stayed with him at HBC convincing me that I would only get the odd game with Wednesday. I think the cup game with 62 may have been after my time. Good to hear from you Geoff. Regards John

Does anyone remember John Bennion, a center forward before Peno and Keith Nicholson who used to transport the u16 team I think,

in the back of his Carpet Fitting Transit. The seats were rolls of carpet and you had a problem if he stopped quickly. Unfortunately, Keith passed away some time ago far too young . What a good guy he was and a great laugh.

Geoff

I remember John Bennion we were in the same class at Walkley School.

A good centre forward not big and bulky but tall and lean with good ball skills.

Saw him a few years ago at a school reunion

I remember John Bennion we were in the same class at Walkley School.

A good centre forward not big and bulky but tall and lean with good ball skills.

Saw him a few years ago at a school reunion

That's him Bronco

hi.shane.uncle ken.calling i was wanderjng if any one would mention clinton.i once played in agame against h.b.c.for woodbourn.y.cin the sheffield int.md.lgu..we scored first but lost 25-1.they had players fromweds under 18.most of us were 16.hope you are well

Around 1980 i was playing football for Hillsbro Athletic against Hillsbro Celtic.After the match we used the Boys club changing rooms and also had a look round at the facilities.

When i got home i told my younger brother,(who was 8 years old)about the boxing down there.A week or so later an older friend started to take him down for the boxing,(I think the trainer may have been called Ray Gillett)

This was the start of my brothers boxing career,going through the amateurs.Fighting for South-Yorkshire,England,then turning pro.

Area title followed,then Commonwealth,British,European and finally World-title.

Have you guessed yet??

Clinton Woods.

I used to live up the road from the HBC on Hammerton Road.., but my father would not let me go down to it. Being of West Indian background in the late 60's early 70's he would say that we "Played enough at school"..how ignorant was that!!!!!!..

I would have loved to go but would not dare disobey him or...well I probably would not be here today ..so I had to settle with Explorers and Pathfinders which I still thoroughly enjoyed.

Everytime I pass by the old HBC, I still feel a twinge of unfulfillment about not ever going there.......and speaking of Clinton woods, I drove past him in his sponsered Audi A4.......nice ride...