Hillsborough Boys Club

Does anyone remember this once famous sporting academy.

Boxing champions, pro footbllers, table tennis champs and the list goes on.

Captain Stanley Royle overseeing every aspect of the place.

What famous names do you remember from days long ago?

I Used To Go To The HBC When I Was A Kid In The Early-Mid 80's.

Had A Few Games For The Footy Team And Played In Some Tournaments With Some Foreign Teams In It.

I Used To Go There A Lot Because Of The Different Thngs You Could Do.Snooker,Pool,Table Tennis,Boxing,Air Rifle Shooting,Etc.It Was Really Handy For Something To Do For The Local Lads.

Trevor Lemm? Was In Charge When I Used To Go,And I Can Always Remember Having To Pay Your 25p Subs Each Week.

As I Still Live Local To It,I See How Decrepid It Is Now And Could Do With Some Cash Spending On The Building.Maybe If Some Benefactor Would Donate Some Money,It Could One Day Be Made Into The Benefit To The Community It Once Was.Think It Kept A Lot Of Young Lads Out Of Trouble In Those Days.Happy Days.:clap:

Saying That,It Still Is Open (To Some Extent) As I Think They Hold Wrestling Events There.

My late uncle Dennis Struggles used to help out there, it was in the 60's or 70's I think. I have a photo somewhere.

I have a couple of photo's of Mr and Mrs Toyal, it looks like a retirement, he is holding a big clock! If anyone would like to see it pm me and I'll email it to you.

I remember Capt. Stanley Royal. It used to be 6 old pence a week. Ted Goddard used to train the footballers. There were some very good players came through the club. Anyone remember in the 60's there ? Albert and Horold Wilcoxson, the late Keith Nicholson who used to manage the under 16 team. Robin Lee, Dave Travis, Robbie Brookfield, John Stanbra, all very good young players.

I remember Capt. Stanley Royal. It used to be 6 old pence a week. Ted Goddard used to train the footballers. There were some very good players came through the club. Anyone remember in the 60's there ? Albert and Horold Wilcoxson, the late Keith Nicholson who used to manage the under 16 team. Robin Lee, Dave Travis, Robbie Brookfield, John Stanbra, all very good young players.

Hi Geoff, A couple of names there I knew; Ted Goddard, sadly no longer with us, who was head of Physiotherapy at the old Lodge Moor Hospital and Harold Wilcockson who was a full-back for the Owls. I played cricket with Harold and to keep it on topic - was Andy Burgin an Hillsborough Boys' Club lad? I played cricket with him too and both Andy and Harold were difficult to keep up with, especially when running a '3'?

Just thought of another possible - Graham Birks? Wilcockson, Burgin and Birks - all played at full-back for SWFC.

Hi CB

Yes Andy was at HBC. He was a very nice lad but grew away from us as he he got more famous. Unfortunately, Johnny Morrisey of Everton didn't read the script and absolutely roasted him on a drenched Hillsborough one night and Andy never really recovered. Harold Wilcockson was a good full back with Doncaster. I think Wednesday swapped him plus cash with my mate ( AND BEST MAN) Ian Branfoot. Ian phoned me a few weeks ago and he is fine. I worked with Ian at Lincoln City before he moved to Southampton. He's had a good career and is a damned good coach.

Back to Harold. His brother Albert, a center forward was a better player, although Harold would never admit that.

Another good HBC player was Keith Godwin ("Sailor" - as he worked for the admiralty) a no nonsense fullback who also played youth football for the Owls.Mick Parsons also took no prisoners. I am sorry to hear about Ted, he seemed indistructable, but alas none of us are.

Regards CB

Geoff

Hi Geoff, A couple of names there I knew; Ted Goddard, sadly no longer with us, who was head of Physiotherapy at the old Lodge Moor Hospital and Harold Wilcockson who was a full-back for the Owls. I played cricket with Harold and to keep it on topic - was Andy Burgin an Hillsborough Boys' Club lad? I played cricket with him too and both Andy and Harold were difficult to keep up with, especially when running a '3'?

Just thought of another possible - Graham Birks? Wilcockson, Burgin and Birks - all played at full-back for SWFC.

Graham Birks was a really nice guy. A left back. He used to take time to talk to us Juniors which was appreciated.

My late uncle Dennis Struggles used to help out there, it was in the 60's or 70's I think. I have a photo somewhere.

I have a couple of photo's of Mr and Mrs Toyal, it looks like a retirement, he is holding a big clock! If anyone would like to see it pm me and I'll email it to you.

Did Dennis have a knickname - Happy - for obvious reasons

Hi CB

Yes Andy was at HBC. He was a very nice lad but grew away from us as he he got more famous. Unfortunately, Johnny Morrisey of Everton didn't read the script and absolutely roasted him on a drenched Hillsborough one night and Andy never really recovered.

Regards CB

Geoff

13 January '65. Wednesday were knocked out of the FA Cup in a replay at Hillsborough 3-0 by Everton. Andy had played in the first match at Goodison in the 2-2 draw.

Three days after that cup replay, Andy made his one league appearance and that was at Anfield, Liverpool winning 4-2 and that was that!

13 January '65. Wednesday were knocked out of the FA Cup in a replay at Hillsborough 3-0 by Everton. Andy had played in the first match at Goodison in the 2-2 draw.

Three days after that cup replay, Andy made his one league appearance and that was at Anfield, Liverpool winning 4-2 and that was that!

Did Andy go to Halifax Town or somewhere like that ?

Did Andy go to Halifax Town or somewhere like that ?

Not sure. When he left Hillsborough in 1967, he joined Rotherham. The last I read of him - in a Keith Farnsworth book - he was a caretaker at a private school in Blackburn. He went to school at Langsett Road.

Well well Geoffusa. I remember you playing football for the club. You weren't a bad player yourself if not up to Harold and co.

I wonder if you guy's remember that if you had a scrape Capt Stan would get the pair of you in the boxing ring for a round or two. That was real disciline.

I never in all the years i went there heard anyone give him any lip. Do you remember his dalmation dog Spangles.

Happy days and yes the subs were sixpence. (2.5p)