Yorkshire Water Price Increase (6.1%?)

If you work out £1.75 x 12 then calculate is as a percentage of the 'average' quoted bill then its the same; just over 6%.

jay69 - it isn't a rain tax then is it? Its the charge for the 'treatment' and provision of infrastructure for surface water. It still rains on my house but as we are on soakaways I got the charge taken off. I would have been unaware of these issues though if it hadn't been part of my degree to study water and waste water. I never paid much attention to my water and sewage bills before that.

Actually as I commented on another thread the increase to the average bill (£21/yr from £340 to £361) is more like a 6.2% increase in charges, and that's on average.

I note in the Yorkshire Water Services Annual Report and Financial Statement for the Year ended 31st March 2010 in the Chairmans Review it states-

....as a result of OFWATS decision, water and sewreage bills will fall by an average of £4 per year in the first two years of the period between 2010-2015 and increase by just £1 in 2015. This will take the average bill from £331 to £332 over the period, an increase of just 20p per year above inflation. This is good news for customers and stakeholders.....

Does this mean Yorkshire Water are raising prices over and above what they are authorised to by OFWAT??

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:MHf2NWUR-WYJ:www.yorkshirewater.com/medialibrary/PDF%2520files/Annual%2520Reports/YWS%2520Ltd%2520Stat%2520accounts%25200910%2520final.pdf+yorkshire+water+directors+earnings&hl=en&gl=uk&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESjzcu4YRTnE64PERWrCmzXzzJnc_h_yO8I3X9d1qRHkjNFj4ohOPfYoCRGLYbczMN4o7lVTcRRB2lp-i8W13Xja9-YTMKTi6wqs9e5GkjTRs9NoxRGvm7I921-xdpiNXNTQSbyb&sig=AHIEtbRFZZbrTTvJ8DK_dfIXYv4dNtcyZg

According to Ofwats document on YW, they allowed an overall increase of 0.5% above inflation over the years 2010-2015. On that average bill of £331 that works out at £1.60 ish.

The problem is that the limits exclude RPI inflation and the majority of the increase is due to RPI. Problem is, the figure also contibutes to RPI so it's a self perpetuating cycle. Compounded by the RPI figures (5.2% this year) this practically gives YW free reign to increase bills by a great deal. Next year and the year after we are looking at 1.6-1.8% over inflation which this year would have been up to 7% increase. The average bill has already gone up almost 8.8% in real terms (since 2010).

Pointless venting your spleen at the water companies.

Instead, aim it at the pointless, spineless and surely to God, bed buddies at Ofwat.

Along with the FSA, the most pointless, do-sweet-FA 'body' in this country.

PS - If you haven't installed a water meter then you're partly to blame. My bill dropped like a stone when I had mine installed and I am still only paying £31 a month on a larger than average, 3 bed semi (family of four).

Edited by Ousetunes

The £150 was a national pay bargain for all universities, but if it is really 0.04% of your wage, you've no need to worry have you. You must be earning more than the VC already. (£375000/yr by my calculations) :hihi:

Great! .................

the price of water rates is scandalous, especially when you have to buy bottled water to drink, and keep buying descaling tablets for the kettle etc. looking in my kettle sometimes its disgusting with limescale i dread to think what other problems the state of the water is causing. perhaps i could ask for a refund ?

the price of water rates is scandalous, especially when you have to buy bottled water to drink, and keep buying descaling tablets for the kettle etc. looking in my kettle sometimes its disgusting with limescale i dread to think what other problems the state of the water is causing. perhaps i could ask for a refund ?

Hard water is better for you. Google it if you want to know why. I don't like hard water for making tea so I use a water filter jug. Our water is tastes too strong of chlorine on a regular basis now so I might have to give them a call.:mad:

Don't buy expensive descaler tablets for the kettle. Use vinegar or lemon juice. You don't need much to react with the limescale. I don't use the strong malt vinegar as its more difficult to get rid of the vinegar smell afterwards. It works better if its slightly warm but don't boil it in the kettle!

If you work out £1.75 x 12 then calculate is as a percentage of the 'average' quoted bill then its the same; just over 6%.jay69 - it isn't a rain tax then is it? Its the charge for the 'treatment' and provision of infrastructure for surface water. It still rains on my house but as we are on soakaways I got the charge taken off. I would have been unaware of these issues though if it hadn't been part of my degree to study water and waste water. I never paid much attention to my water and sewage bills before that.

Yes, but the point is that by saying it is £1,75 sanitises it. It is still over six per cent.

Oh, and by the way, if you had been paying for 30 years and then discovered that you had a soak away you would only have got one year refunded, but that is probably only about 20 pence a week, not £300.

What do you recon the cost are to filter and treat your own water i might just pipe up to the don

Yes, but the point is that by saying it is £1,75 sanitises it. It is still over six per cent.

Oh, and by the way, if you had been paying for 30 years and then discovered that you had a soak away you would only have got one year refunded, but that is probably only about 20 pence a week, not £300.

No, it was something I investigated immediately when I moved in 11 years ago. I also discovered they were trying to charge me for an outbuilding which did have a water supply (outside tap) and its own meter, but no foul sewer or surface water drainage pipes.

No, it was something I investigated immediately when I moved in 11 years ago. I also discovered they were trying to charge me for an outbuilding which did have a water supply (outside tap) and its own meter, but no foul sewer or surface water drainage pipes.

Do you know about the rules on blocked drains on your premises ?

Do you know about the rules on blocked drains on your premises ?

My experience is water and waste water analysis, trade effluent, consent to discharge etc and there has been some recent changes regarding domestic sewers. The change doesn't really affect us though as I checked when the letter came through last year. I'm under Severn Trent for Waste water. If this link works you should be able to work out who is responsible for the sewers on your property. As a general rule you are responsible from the main sewer to your property.

http://www.yorkshirewater.com/the-big-transfer.aspx

Hope this helps.

My experience is water and waste water analysis, trade effluent, consent to discharge etc and there has been some recent changes regarding domestic sewers. The change doesn't really affect us though as I checked when the letter came through last year. I'm under Severn Trent for Waste water. If this link works you should be able to work out who is responsible for the sewers on your property. As a general rule you are responsible from the main sewer to your property.

http://www.yorkshirewater.com/the-big-transfer.aspx

Hope this helps.

What I meant was that if you have a shared drain, in a property which was built before October 1937 (check), then the water company is responsible for unblocking the drains - even those which are on your property.