Miss great britain June Cooper--Kiveton Park

In the mid fifties i was driving for W.E.Grant(billy) of Gibralter st.delivering furniture for Scott (duride) upholstery of green lane works,just off shalesmoor. We(my drivers mate,Roy Barton)and i were at the co-op,back of the market,on a delivery.Roy was quite taken by young JUNE,being shy ,Roy asked me to aks her for a date with him.She said yes,but he wouldn't go,as he thought i was kidding him.I think it was maybe within a couple of years later, that June won the beauty contest,and only a few weeks later,had to drop out after admitting that she was legally underage to enter the contest.Roy kicked himself for a while after that,but got over it.He became my best mate,best man and later night forman on the loading at Riley's transport,where we both worked.I often wonder what became of June Cooper.? a lovely,pleasant,sincere girl.cheers, clydesdale.

Hello, was interested in your post as i am trying to complete my family tree for me Yorkshire family who all seem to hale fro Ulley. I have an image of June and it was always mentioned that June was my Granddads cousin. As he is long gone I am at a full stop. What i did learn was that she married a Peter Purkis in 1962 and till 2002 was definitely still married to him. She had one daughter called Nicola.But that's as much as I can tell you. She did have a short career in film a carry on and I believe a incy tiny part in a 007 movie. If you have learnt anything more I would be very grateful for the info

Hi,there Pinkglue,nice to know you.Sorry i can't help you with your family tree,as i only knew June through meeting her when we made deliveries to the co-op behind the Castle market.June and her boss(Harry-i think)were two of the nicest i have ever met,and i don't say that lightly.My pal roy was later married and they had two kids,unfortunatly,he died of cancer in 2002,My wife and i still keep in touch with the family,and visit when we come home(which has been often)as we have been in Canada since 1966.We will be back in April/may this year.nice to talk to you .clydesdale

I have an address and a telephone number of a

Mr. D. Purkis and Mrs June V. Purkis at the same address taken from the 2003 Electoral Roll. It also appears that they are still resident at the same address in 2012.

While I cannot be sure that this is the lady mentioned in the original post, it does tally with the info given by Pinkglue and the fact that a Nicola A. Purkis was married in the same area in 1999 would make it even more likely.

If you would like the address etc. please PM me.

Hi pinkglue. Not sure if you are still interested, but I also have ancestors called Cooper in South Yorkshire, Wales specifically. June Cooper happens to be my dad's cousin, so perhaps we are related.

Hello, was interested in your post as i am trying to complete my family tree for me Yorkshire family who all seem to hale fro Ulley. I have an image of June and it was always mentioned that June was my Granddads cousin. As he is long gone I am at a full stop. What i did learn was that she married a Peter Purkis in 1962 and till 2002 was definitely still married to him. She had one daughter called Nicola.But that's as much as I can tell you. She did have a short career in film a carry on and I believe a incy tiny part in a 007 movie. If you have learnt anything more I would be very grateful for the info

June used to live in the railway cottages on the main rd at kiveton park and she won the Miss U K contest wearing a costume a former girl friend of mine lent her,she was so jealous they stopped speaking to each other for a while.

On 12/02/2012 at 11:20, pinkglue said:

Hi Everyone. I’ve known June Cooper (now Purkis) for over 40 years. She lives next door to my parents in Hertfordshire and is my mum’s best friend. Message me if you’d like any further info for your family tree.

I saw June and her Husband a couple of years ago at a funeral of her friends mother here i Rotherham and she was looking really good we sat with them for a few hours chatting my wife knew her well from the modelling days,they were both very nice. Jo Earl remind her of Sandra Brown please she was a good friend of Junes and a contemporary on the beauty contests i went out with her for a couple of years.

Edited by bullerboY