Vehicles powered by water

now before any one gets their knickers in a twist, why dont you all give your car to me and buy a horse,now if u own a jag( late model) i might throw in a good carvan pulling pinto and a head scarf

What colour is the head scarf.

Really, how did you work that out?

How did I work out that a petrol engine doesn't use fuel when coasting?

It's part of the design (in a modern injection engine). If your foot is off the throttle and the engine is being turned over by momentum then no fuel is injected.

I don't want to argue with you since by the above statement you obviously know very little about the subject.

Do you think?

• Old car with a carburettor – take your foot off the accelerator pedal with the car in gear and fuel is still drawn through into the engine. Fuel savings could be made by coasting out of gear.
  • Modern car with electronic engine management – fuel and ignition systems are effectively combined and controlled by one Electronic Control Unit (ECU). Take your foot off the accelerator and the ECU cuts the fuel supply to the injectors anyway so there's nothing to be gained by coasting.
  • Modern diesel engines also have the ability to shut off the fuel when you take your foot off the accelerator.

No, I don't think you think.

How did I work out that a petrol engine doesn't use fuel when coasting?

It's part of the design (in a modern injection engine). If your foot is off the throttle and the engine is being turned over by momentum then no fuel is injected.

From that logic, it should keep going without fuel.

Disconnect the fuel line and see if stops.

Any thoughts on moving this thread over to general discussions?

It does not seem to be about Sheffield History & Expats

Any thoughts on moving this thread over to general discussions?

It does not seem to be about Sheffield History & Expats

No sorry because this thread is fueled by expats:hihi::hihi:

From that logic, it should keep going without fuel.

Disconnect the fuel line and see if stops.

It will keep going, until the momentum runs out, of course 'going' simply means being turned over by the wheels at that point, touching the accelerator will do nothing.

Of course the clever ECU that stops injecting fuel will probably detect the fuel line failure and actually flash up a whole load of warning lights.

a little different but we had a 48??terraplane hudson or essex now this car brought over for the British hill race's ran on petrol or parifin which being a farm fuel had NO tax, switch over via valve in the glove compartment, for those who remember the(suez problem) gas colour blue for trade red for pleasure the police would stop you and dip your tank we got 100 miles to the gall on that little drop of red

We have a biodiesel processing plant that we have built and produce 100% legal biodiesel costing us 15 pence per litre and runs our vehicles with no problems or power loss for 15p a litre :D