New business - need book keeping help ?

Who said anything about the accountant handling basic things? Our accountant set up the company for us and does our year end figures. He does give us great advice on tax issues and deals with HMRC on our behalf. HMRC have hounded me several times with threatening letters regarding not paying something or other for my employees. We don't have any employees! I passed this problem on to my accountant to deal with.

He saved us a lot of money by advising us to become VAT registered immediately. I know some people may never need to be VAT registered but by doing this it meant we could claim VAT back on our purchases in the first six months of setting up the business.

Most accountants will offer a set annual fee for managing accounts that need minimal work like ours does.

I think perhaps you have misunderstood my post. I didnt say they handle basic things, i said they arent needed for every business from day one to handle the basic things. many things can be done yourself particularly if you already know what business structure is suitable for you and dont need to be VAT registered for example. I'm not trying to put down the work accountants do at all, and if and when i eventually come to incorporate I will definitely be using one. I just disagree with the idea that every business needs one from day one. If anyone was unsure of anything or needed advice then of course i would recommend they see an accountant, but for some it isnt actually necessary if things are simple enough.

There is few you can use. Good old Microsoft Office (excel). Openoffice 3.0 you can download for free (Spreadsheet) and you can also download templates off the internet with this software or you can use Kingsoft Office which also has spreedsheet free to download again and downloadable templates to use with this software.

Hope this helps

Andy