Turning right at Hillsborough corner towards city.

Can anyone tell me,is it permited to turn right from holme lane up barrack hill towards town ? Also have the 'Tram Gate' signs been changed recently?

Unless its changed recently , which I dont think it as , NO you cant make that turn and have been unable to do so since the trams started at least.

I thought it was part of the tram gate which allowed ordinary, car tax paying users in the middle of the day - got a £30 fine for my mistake!!

Honestly - our traffic restrictions for the "Ghost Train" ooops - I mean Supertram, are a joke!!

Why should we be forced to go miles out of the way, using up petrol and tyres??

I lived on Holme Close about 20 years ago, and I believe things were much better the way they were!!!

Grrrr!!!

And even more so, the floor is a different colour and has been for some time.

Iam sure that the floor was a differant colour from the start iam sure it was red on the first day the trams strated running , because I remember an incident with a car driver who had ignored the signs markings etc

Mmm not sure what you are referring to...the road or the floor of the tram??

Either way, when I took my driving test, I'm sure these were not included!!!

Yes, i thought as much....just as well I have had my eyes lasered, so I can keep one on the road surface, one on the traffic signs, and one on the car in front!!

Crazy I say

I thought it was part of the tram gate which allowed ordinary, car tax paying users in the middle of the day - got a £30 fine for my mistake!!

Honestly - our traffic restrictions for the "Ghost Train" ooops - I mean Supertram, are a joke!!

Why should we be forced to go miles out of the way, using up petrol and tyres??

I lived on Holme Close about 20 years ago, and I believe things were much better the way they were!!!

Grrrr!!!

Your car "tax" is just that, a tax, it confers no rights on you whatsoever (other than avoiding prosecution for not paying it) and so, is a total red herring in your argument.

The restriction on that turn has been in place since the tram system was built. The signing is all correct, so it no-one's fault but yours if you don't observe them properly.

When you put a tram through a busy junction like that and also need to accommodate signalled pedestrian crossings, often some movements have to be banned either to avoid excessive traffic delays by maintaining some reasonable amount of capacity, or ensure to safety (or both).

You don't have to go "miles" out of your way, it's a few hundred yards.

Traffic levels have increased more than a bit since 20 years ago, so it's no good looking at the past through rose tinted spectacles ( I suppose that you conveniently don't recall the huge queues there used to be on Langsett Rd out of city down to Hillsborough Corner?). Major cities need reliable, quick, high capacity pubic transport. In congested networks, you can't have that without having to make some compromises. Supertram is a great asset to this city and many other cities envy us.

Nearly got flattened this morning outside Java Lounge this morning by a lady who obviously has no idea about road signs, she turned right onto Holme Lane from Middlewood Road.

You may have seen me and another gentleman shouting at her, we were crossing on the green man.

Hopefully she should get a nice little reminder in the post as she nearly left a widow and 2 kiddies orphaned.

Perhaps Planner 1 can confirm there is a camera covering this area to catch no right turns?

Perhaps Planner 1 can confirm there is a camera covering this area to catch no right turns?

Councils outside London are not able to enforce banned turns using cameras. ( the powers to do so have been requested by several city regions as part of devolved funding deals, but the government appear to have got cold feet about it)

Nearly got flattened this morning outside Java Lounge this morning by a lady who obviously has no idea about road signs, she turned right onto Holme Lane from Middlewood Road.

You may have seen me and another gentleman shouting at her, we were crossing on the green man.

Hopefully she should get a nice little reminder in the post as she nearly left a widow and 2 kiddies orphaned.

I've had a similar experience more than once.

I got a penalty charge notice 4 weeks ago for driving across Hillsborough corner from Middlewood Road across towards the Rawson. The time in question was a Sunday. I have appealed, sending with it a clear picture of the sign which says 'Mon-Sat' . Not heard anything back yet though...

Councils outside London are not able to enforce banned turns using cameras. ( the powers to do so have been requested by several city regions as part of devolved funding deals, but the government appear to have got cold feet about it)

So there's no deterrent?

Anyone can turn right there and no driver, unless witnessed committing the violation by a police officer, will be punished?