Delighted to see University applications down 9%..

I think you need to have very rich parents if thats the reason for going to university. If money is no object, then YES - university is about broadening the mind.

Sadly though for the majority, their aim is to get a decent job at the end of the 3 years

But is it? Back in the day, people leaving school and going to uni were very much the exception (and that was at the excellent King Ted's).

Nowadays, it's seen as a rite of passage, a chance to follow your peers.

None but what op is trying to say is that students think just because they have a useless peice of paper they are too good to stack shelves just like last week in the news with the student who said she was too good to work at poundland.

She wasn't offered to work at poundland she was offered to volunteer at Poundland.

I thought an IT degree was a low value degree?

Thanks for that, that's 1984-88 written off for me then. :(

Thanks for that, that's 1984-88 written off for me then. :(

And presumably all those years at Capgemini and your career as well.

I wouldn't worry, he was just having a cheap shot at me by trying to devalue my education.

Personally I'd put Comp Sci degrees at a similar level to Engineering, studying law, medicine or other vocational degrees. Out of that list I'd say that they're all similarly difficult apart from Medicine which might be a bit harder (although not a lot from the medical students that I know).

And presumably all those years at Capgemini and your career as well.

I wouldn't worry, he was just having a cheap shot at me by trying to devalue my education.

Personally I'd put Comp Sci degrees at a similar level to Engineering, studying law, medicine or other vocational degrees. Out of that list I'd say that they're all similarly difficult apart from Medicine which might be a bit harder (although not a lot from the medical students that I know).

I think the above are very useful degrees. Now as you've done one and I haven't, do you think the course is suitable for the top 10% or 20% ? Bear in mind Blair wanted 50% to go to university. Could 20% or 50% of your peers at school managed to complete the course ?

I think the above are very useful degrees. Now as you've done one and I haven't, do you think the course is suitable for the top 10% or 20% ? Bear in mind Blair wanted 50% to go to university. Could 20% or 50% of your peers at school managed to complete the course ?

I left school at 16 and started my degree 15 years later so I'd guess that anyone from my class could have done the degree.

The whole point of extending tertiary education was about offering people choice.

50% of the A level students could have done it I'd expect, although it wouldn't really have suited a lot of them.

Of course the A level students at my school probably represented about 50% of the GCSE students, so by saying that I'm saying that only 25% of the original total could have done it...

As the title says, I'm delighted to see university applications down 9 per cent. I only hope it carries on in the same direction.

Perhaps now I'll get fewer idiots with chips on their shoulders coming to job interviews, thinking the world owes them a living just because they studied a worthless degree in a bizarre subject for three years!

The policy of allowing so many people to go to university has made all but the top degrees completely worthless and created a generation of misguided out-dated 2:1-owning chimps.

Give me a keen 18-year-old with an open mind, rather than a smart-arse 23-year-old with a fancy bit of paper! In my experience, the only difference between the two is the bit of paper.

Rant over.

So tell us, Alf Garnet, what is it you are interviewing people for? Do you run a chip shop?

Err, no. Still here, chuckling at the way most people have only read part of my post and failed to grasp the point.

I think you need to consider that amongst the **** end students who think they're un-touchable, they are a lot of decent ones.

It's a good job I don't go in to interviews with the attitude that you're the **** heel and I'm vital to your company isn't it? If all students were like this, we would never have jobs.

If you're interviewing eager 18 year olds as well as students, you're position obviously doesn't offer anything academically challenging... or anything that requires a degree. If it's just a retail job or something, I'd challenge you to find me anyone (Student or anyone without qualifications) who genuinly thinks that job is all they're worth.