Abbeydale industrail hamlet

I worked at this place for near 20 year, on and of in the cafe,great years i had there.the thing that im wanting to know is what ever happened to the perch in the hamlet dam,this may sound far fetched but i swear this dam at one time could have possible hold a record perch.they were huge.I swore never to fish it after a old mate of mine got the fishing rights on the dam,this in my eyes was the end of the old wild carp that was in there,all these fish died during the emtying of the dam and the pulling out of all the old silt,this needed doing,but i'm sure that these old carp could have been saved some how.My views on his stocking choice also was a on going arguement,he was a match man and loved catching bream,tench roach,rudd.but i do think the stocking of i'm not saying a lot of carp just 10/15 would have done but,this was never done.now i have been told that there are some big carp in the dam now,how big i don't know,my son caught his first ever carp from this place a ghostie 16.2.A lot of people do not like carp fishing but i do belive that this is the future of the sport.The odd thing about the perch that was in there is that none of the big perch were ever found,i guess they was all pulled into the river when the dams water level was taken out and the water run through the gate that run into the river.Not many new to carp fishing will have seen a old english original like a topedo,wood carving,these were stocked into the hamlet dam by the munks many many years ago.the old curator of the hamlet a lovely lady who is no longer with us called janet peteman told me this and there was a document to prove it.Can any one else remember fishing this venue when we shouldnt have been,if you did then you must remember the perch.This could have been one of the best big fish waters in the north of england,the work that pete has done is great stuff dont get me wrong,any one who has had any of the big carp out,when i say big i mean fish over 20lb.many thanks.m.p.ellis

I fish there weekly and true there are no longer any perch in there as anglers were complaining about them so they were removed, there are some carp on there, only caught a couple of 3-4 lb ones though I was there one morning and a huge carp was surfacing taking things of the surface about 25-30 lb I should think, also on a warm day go down the island end and there are plenty of ghosts and kois basking in the sun, there are also

Plenty of roach and skimmers some roach reaching a pound and Ive had bream up to about 3-4 lb in there, plenty of crucians very rarely don't catch one in a session, a handful of goldfish, had 1 of them out, 2 barbel, I small and one large ( this is official as a friend had one out and I didn't believe him so asked on of the lads working there and confirmed there are 2. Rainbow and brown trout, had a few rainbows out, plenty of rudd, hope this helps :)