A Horse Called Britain

A Horse Called Britain

A man was given a horse by a wise old woman.

The woman said to him, this is the fastest strongest horse in the world. It will never age, and never get sick, but you must feed him and water him and give him exercise.

This horse was called Britain

the man bought a shiny new saddle, and a shiny new cart for the horse made by the best craftsmen of the time.

the saddle was called the government and the cart was called the law.

the horse was the fastest race horse in the world, it made him lots of money.

the horse was the strongest carthorse in the world, it made him even more money.

Years later the man was old, and his son rode the horse, the saddle was worn out, and the cart was rusty.

The horse had to go more slowly or the saddle would snap

the horse could not pull as much weight or the cart would break.

But even with these incumbent encumbrances Britain was still a good horse, the son patched the saddle and oiled the cart, and found that he could still compete in the races, he didn't win many anymore, but he could still compete.

The son found a habit of patching and mending the saddle, and the cart. The government and the law were old fashioned, heavy and filled with amendments, they slowed Britain down, but the son thought it would cost too much to replace them.

Many years later The mans great great grandson went to ride the horse. The saddle was so patched and worn that he had to lead the horse by the reins.

the cart was rusted, broken and water logged, addled by years of decay and filled with broken scraps from the saddle, it could barely hold any weight.

He looked on in envy as hoses raced past him, and cars and motorbikes.

He took the horse to the glue factory so that he could sell it and buy a bicycle.

The factory owner was a keen businessman, and saw its potential, I'll give you two bicycles for the horse he said.

Then he put the saddle into his pocket, and began to alter the cart so that it would serve him better.

Then he used Britain to become more wealthy and powerful than ever.

but he never cared for the horse, fed it poorly and didn't give it proper exercise, the horse got sick, he turned it into glue and dog-food.

To summarise

Britain was the strongest and fastest in the world, the envy of all the others. It had a great government and a great law.

Over time the government and the law were not changed; only patched and added to. They became weak and bloated, worn out and antiquated.

Left over scraps from the government were constantly being left in the law, slowing down Britain until it wasn't the best any more.

Over time Britan struggled to compete, and younger and faster rivals began to overtake it.

The business man saw Britan, and he saw that it had potential, but the government and the law was slowing it down.

He bought it for much less that what it was worth, put the government in his pocket and altered the law to suit his needs.

He didn't care for Britain, he only ever used it to make money. Britain got weak and ended up on the knackers yard.

Conclusion

I'll let you draw your own.

DM

What's the context of the piece? As in, what/who is it written for?

Hi Allo1010 - I thoroughly enjoyed this. Excellent. MIS

Hi Allo1010 - I thoroughly enjoyed this. Excellent. MIS

Hi maidinsheff - I don't understand why you referenced me in your feedback. If you think I wrote it then there's a mistake because danmas86 did and he/she deserves the praise.

Ooops - Serves me right for not being online for such a long time and not paying attention. I hope danmas86 will forgive me. :(

If iit was me I'd have just stolen the praise :)