Do you smack your kids ?

The last sentence is true surely?

No. Far from it. Being run over needs a car.

What about the vast majority of criminals who were smacked as children?

This confuses me as when you talk to people about the criminal fraternity specifically lefties they will cite a whole plethora of different reasons (non of them their own fault I might add) why a person commits crime. Yet if smacking caused crime we would a) see all those who are smacked criminals. This is not the case. B) The solution to crime is to abolish smacking.

The reality is that smacking doesnt cause crime. Its a deterant. As with many other deterents an option of many. Some parents the naughty step works. Some its a slap. Either way its an option for parenting whatever works for the couple. Not for the state and the NSPCC to say it shouldnt happen. It has worked in the past. It will continue to work. I'm not saying parents should smack their kids I'm saying they should consider this an option and choose what is right for that family.

A very emotive subject, I slapped my son on bum years ago when he overstepped the mark, they know how far to go & if they go past it a slap on bum does them no harm. I got slapped as a kid by my mum, back of legs, god it stung, but it taught me right from wrong.

I'd never advocate hitting a child anywhere else other than the bum, never round the head, some people will some won't.

Just because they do doesn't make them beasts, and because they don't; doesn't make them soft. Kids have always had a smack, its the poor beggars who are slapped from pillar to post I feel for, what I feel is worse is the kids who are murdered & relatives come on TV crying, knowing full well they did it.

And just because people are smacked as kids, does not mean they will turn out to be a criminal, its up to personal choice, some do smack; some don't.

I wasn't smacked as a child and I don't smack my kids either. There are other ways of disciplining other than using violence. This depends very much on the individual child and what would make the most difference to them but I think smacking should never be an option. All it does is suggest to the child that hitting is right.

children should not be hit, i have three children 20/16/10

i never raised a hand , i am quite a mellow person, if i raised my voice my boys knew i was angry , and behaved

I've never hit my son, he turns 7 on Thursday and is as good as gold. We always get complimented on how well behaved he is. Gloat over but having been hit, punched and kicked by my parent, I swore I would never do the same to my own. You can discipline without resorting to violence, just takes patience and a couple brain cells.

I've never hit my son, he turns 7 on Thursday and is as good as gold. We always get complimented on how well behaved he is. Gloat over but having been hit, punched and kicked by my parent, I swore I would never do the same to my own. You can discipline without resorting to violence, just takes patience and a couple brain cells.

My point exactly I said a smack on bum, your experience has been at the other end of the spectrum, child cruelty, sorry you had that :)

My point exactly I said a smack on bum, your experience has been at the other end of the spectrum, child cruelty, sorry you had that :)

If I only had the odd little smack on ze bum I may feel different but either way I chose to draw the line at no physical punishment.

children should not be hit, i have three children 20/16/10

i never raised a hand , i am quite a mellow person, if i raised my voice my boys knew i was angry , and behaved

Oh I have no doubt that not smacking a child can produce behaved kids. However my argument would be its up to the parent to decide the punishment and you go with what works. Smacking would work for some. The punishment you chose worked for you. Its not for the NSPCC to decide what punishment a parent uses nor is it the domain of the government. Or you to decide what deterent another parent chooses. It should be about choice for the parent and not condemnation.

Parents who lash out and slap and smack their kids do it because it relieves their feelings (of frustration and anger), and makes them feel good/powerful, if only for a short time.

Of course they feel powerful they are disciplining the child, making the child know who is boss. just because you put it in a sentence making it sound like some high for parents doesn't make it so, their are pro's and con's for both ways of disciplining children.

for example smacking a child because they walk out into the road i don't really agree with but that's because if i were to do that i would be worried about them being shocked and falling into the road, a much better way is to explain like so eloquently put earlier that if they walk into the road they will be squashed flat by a fire engine, this is a good way to deal with that situation because children can imagine that and that means they are thinking about it which is in turn creating a memory of that occasion, which is obviously a much better way to go because smacking them just confuses them.

Parent who carry out pre-arranged physical punishments when they are calmer are something else altogether (cruel and perverted springs to mind).

i do not agree with this, surely if you do discipline your child this way it is a hell of a lot better to do it when calm rather than during a hysterical moment while you are screaming and shouting.

Neither is a good enough reason to hit anyone and experience shows that it rarely acts as a deterrent in any case. How many people do you hear saying 'I was whacked/strapped/caned/smacked all the time as a child and it never did me any harm'? It obviously didn't have the desired effect, either, or there would have been no need for repeat punishment!

very good point.

Oh I have no doubt that not smacking a child can produce behaved kids. However my argument would be its up to the parent to decide the punishment and you go with what works. Smacking would work for some. The punishment you chose worked for you. Its not for the NSPCC to decide what punishment a parent uses nor is it the domain of the government. Or you to decide what deterent another parent chooses. It should be about choice for the parent and not condemnation.

agree with this aswell.