Should cycle riders stay in single file?

If all the cyclists had your attitude there would not be a problem. Unfortunately many appear to take pride in holding motorists up! Yet if I was to overtake a "clump" of cyclists and knock one or two off their bikes, they would claim that it was my fault!

SORRY....but it is NOT!

Yes it would be your fault, just like if you overtook a car and missed timed it and clipped the car.

Clearly if your unable to safely overtake a clump of cyclist, you shouldn't be on the road.

If I overtook a clump of cyclists and one of them "wobbled" into me as I was overtaking, then the fault is with the cyclist. NOT ME!:)

I can't see a cyclist wobbling into you. Let's not forget your meant to overtake leaving a safe distance between yourself and the group of cyclists.

Just like you would or are supposed to do when overtaking another vehicle.

If I overtook a clump of cyclists and one of them "wobbled" into me as I was overtaking, then the fault is with the cyclist. NOT ME!:)

no sorry i have had a lorry driver cautioned when he did that, as long as you have witnesses to say that you ( the cyclist) was riding in a proper manner I.E. not in the middle of the road or wobbling, and that the driver hit you then you have got very little defence.

and if you drove off without stopping and your number was taken, then your looking at a ban or some sort of sentence. those do occur and its a criminal offence to hit and run.

That would depend upon what the witnesses saw.

I think that your argument would hold a little weight if car owners themselves stuck to the letter of the law and the Highway Code when they drive, but just like cyclists they don't.

Yes it would be your fault, just like if you overtook a car and missed timed it and clipped the car.

Clearly if your unable to safely overtake a clump of cyclist, you shouldn't be on the road.

A place near me where I both cycle and drive. 6 miles of winding country roads. On more than 1 occasion I have followed the 3 side by side cycleists at 8 mph all the 6 miles because it was unsafe to overtake and they were not willing to pull over. Is this the way it should be?

Is not it a legal requirement that cyclists stay in single file on the roads? Today I was travelling in the opposite direction to a group of about 20 of them and they were side by side holding up tax paying road users. Isn't it illegal for them to ride in "clumps" taking up a full lane and holding back proper tax paying road users?:rant:

Are you suggesting the cyclists were not tax payers.All rad users are tax-payers ,even young kids.And many cars take up a whole lane holding back the more reckless driver.

I can't see a cyclist wobbling into you. Let's not forget your meant to overtake leaving a safe distance between yourself and the group of cyclists.

Just like you would or are supposed to do when overtaking another vehicle.

How far is a safe distance? How long is a piece of string?

The fact remains that cyclists should ride in single file. If they choose not to, they are already breaking the spirit of the law and if the odd one or two get knocked off....SO BE IT!:)

That is probably because cyclists cannot afford proper transport as they are on the dole.:roll:

They should keep in single file anyhow as a thank you to the road users who pay tax and pay the costs of maintaining the roads for them to freeload on.

Now you are talking............I think cyclists should be sacrificed in a ritualised manner to give thanks to the motorists.

I am sure that I read somewhere that the road hogging halfwits were required to ride in single file so as to assist the traffic flow.:huh:

Accusing other people of being a halfwits whilst demonstrating your own lack of knowledge. Nice.